Hurricane Florence

Avery Ward, Contributor

The National Weather Service at noon on September 10, 2018, sent out a mandatory evacuation order to the entirety of the population as a huge hurricane was reported.  Hurricane Florence gradually developed into a Category 4 storm as it moved its way to the East Coast of the United States.  This means the storm is capable of creating catastrophic damage.  This gigantic hurricane is expected to pound North Carolina as well as South Carolina as a Category 3 or 4 on September 13th in the evening, or September 14th in the early morning.  Florence’s winds have now escalated to 130 miles per hour.

On September 10, Florence has expanded from a Category 1, which has winds 90 miles per hour, to a Category 4, which has winds of 130 miles per hour in 13 hours.  Colorado State University meteorologist, Phil Klotzbach states, “The last Atlantic hurricane to intensify as rapidly as far north as Florence’s current location was Hurricane Humberto in 2007,” (USA Today).  This cautioned people at the coast and inland from South Carolina to the mid-Atlantic region to watch the storm’s progress and to make certain they have a hurricane plan.  In other words the National Hurricane Center, NHC, states, “A life-threatening storm surge is likely along portions of the coastlines of South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia, and a Storm Surge Watch will likely be issued for some of these areas by Tuesday morning.  All interests from South Carolina into the mid-Atlantic region should ensure they have their hurricane plan in place and follow any advice given by local officials” (NHC).

Due to the hurricane, deadly freshwater flooding and heavy rainfall will be likely to occur.  The rainfall and flooding may enhance inland over North and South Carolina.  Other than rain, the winds of the hurricane will damage portions of the coast of the Carolinas.  The NHC claims, “A Hurricane watch will likely be issued by Tuesday morning.  Damaging winds could also spread well inland into portions of the Carolinas and Virginia” (NHC). The hurricane center also states that large swells, which are usually hurricane-generated waves, are affecting Bermuda and pieces of the United States’ East Coast will persist the week of September 10.  These swells are predicted to be severe surf and rip currents.

Although hurricane Florence is the main problem at hand, an enormous flood is predicted to arrive.  “It appears a major flood event is on the way in the Middle Atlantic region.  It is likely some areas will flood that have never flooded before,” meteorologist Mike Smith said. Forty inches of rainfall are possible, but the storm’s winds will most likely subside after making landfall.  The rain will continue as it makes its way over portions of North Carolina and Virginia.  “All indications are that the storm will slow down and just crawl or meander over the inland sections and the coastal Piedmont,” Weather Channel hurricane expert Bryan Norcross said, “We don’t know exactly where the center will go, but it’s not really relevant.  It’s more like a [Hurricane] Harvey situation, where it’ll just slowly wind down.”

Sources: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/09/10/hurricane-florence-driving-life-threatening-conditions-toward-east-coast/1253945002/

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/10/us/florence-hurricane-season-wxc/index.html

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/100906.shtml?

Avery Ward, Contributor

My name is Avery Ward and I am a freshman.  Here's a few things I like to do. Firstly, I love to play volleyball! I have been playing on the court for...