Sierra Burgess Is a Loser Movie Review

Hannah Ponder, Contributor

Last Friday on September 7th, a new movie came out on Netflix called Sierra Burgess Is a Loser. This movie is a teenage romance and comedy.  Sierra Burgess is an only child in her family and  she is just trying to find her way through high school. She is very insecure about her body because she is a little overweight and has acne. She is not the perfect teenage girl. But she is super smart and very friendly to everyone. Her best friend’s name is Dan and they do everything together. Sierra Burgess is a band geek (nothing wrong with that), she just isn’t a popular cheerleader like Veronica. Veronica is the mean, popular girl of the school. She is snobby and gets almost every guy she wants. Sierra and Veronica are two very different people. Veronica has always been mean and bullied Sierra but Sierra has turned the other cheek and ignored her insults. But this time, Veronica goes too far. Sierra had put a poster on one of the school walls offering to tutor people. She put strips with her number on them as a way to contact her. Well, Veronica decided to rip off all the numbers from Sierra’s poster so no one could contact her.

Later that evening, Veronica hangs out with her “friends” at a diner. They sit down and Veronica notices that a good-looking guy is staring at her. She motions to him to come over and he does. Very abruptly, Veronica asks this guy if he wants her number. He says yes (of course) and introduces himself as Jayme. As Jayme walks away happily, Veronica starts to talk trash about Jayme just because his friends that he is sitting with, look like nerds. And what Jayme doesn’t know is that Veronica had not given him her number, but Sierra’s number instead. Jayme texts this number, thinking it is Veronica, when it’s actually Sierra. Sierra is startled and confused but decides to go along with it anyway. She really likes Jayme but doesn’t think he would like her so she pretends to be Veronica. As this “relationship” moves faster along, through texts and calls, Sierra asks for Veronica’s help. In return, Veronica wanted to be tutored by Sierra to impress a college guy. As they help each other out, a friendship between the bullier and the bullied comes about. But eventually, Sierra has to stop lying to poor Jayme. When Sierra finally tells Jayme the truth, things get crazy and chaotic. But do not despair; in the end, Sierra does end up with the guy.

This movie has a lot of drama and did not get the greatest reviews, like many people were expecting. The main character, Sierra, was played by an actress named Shannon Purser. Shannon is mainly known for her role, as a girl named Barb, in the popular show Stranger Things. Jayme is played by the famous actor Noah Centineo. Noah recently starred in another Netflix movie called To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. While the actors in this movie are very popular and well known, they performed their parts poorly and did not do as well as in previous movies/shows. Also, this movie is controversial because the plotline is about a girl catfishing a guy, which many people think is wrong. At the end, Sierra is mad at Veronica and leaks one of Veronica’s private pictures on Instagram, slut shaming her. Sierra could have handled the issue very differently, without hurting Veronica.

Another bad review was that in one scene, Sierra meets Jayme and he doesn’t know who she is, so she pretends to be deaf. What Sierra did not know was that Jayme’s little brother was actually deaf. NME news shared a twitter post by Nyle DiMarco, famous for being on a TV show, Dancing with the Stars, in which he says, “So one of my close friends’ deaf brother is in Sierra Burgess. When I learned, I was elated. Finally more deaf actors/representation & ASL inclusion in films. Only to find out the deaf character was written and used for a terrible joke. PS- pretending to be deaf is NOT ok.”  Sierra Burgess Is a Loser does have relatable lessons about anxiety and not being good enough, but some of the scenes were sensitive for many people. This movie got mixed reviews, some being good and others bad. There are many more details and cute, funny moments though, so put this movie on the movie list.

Sources: