Troye Sivan ‘Bloom’ Album Review

Samara Colbert, Contributor

Troye Sivan is a force to be reckoned with. Three years after releasing his debut album, ‘Blue Neighborhood’, he released his Sophomore album, ‘Bloom’ on August 31st. Troye had his start on YouTube, posting covers and was found and signed with Capitol Records.  The albums sound doesn’t stray far from his last but has a more adult vibe to it. ‘Blue Neighborhood’ told a story about two kids falling in love while another struggled with accepting himself as gay. Troye Sivan came out as gay to his audience on Youtube in 2013 and has embraced who he is as shown in his music, especially in ‘Bloom’.

The album opens up with a mellow and simple melody where he talks about being in a relationships with a man much older than he. This track is titled “Seventeen”. Troye Sivan said in an interview with Attitude that it was written about his experience lying about his age when he was younger. This can also be alluded to his song “Youth” from his previous album, he is giving away his innocence and youth to someone. At first listen, it sounds bland, but becomes enjoyable the more you listen to it and it becomes clear that this album is more vulnerable and personal than the one before.

The second track ‘My My My!’ is a more upbeat and catchy song. This song is the type to make you jump up and down in your chair and want to fall in love. The line ‘Let’s stop running from love’ stays with you throughout the song and even through the catchy chorus. The words illustrate what it is like to first fall in love. Troye Sivan said in his interview with Genius,”My My My! is a song of liberation, freedom and love. Throw all inhibition to the wind, be present in your body, love wholeheartedly, move the way you’ve always wanted to, and dance the way you feel- hopefully to this song!”

The next song is more calming and talks about being on the ‘The Good Side’ of a break up.  Unlike other break up songs this has a happier tone. It speaks about getting the better side of the break up and his advantage of having his fans on tour while going through this. He had an easier way to cope than the other person and sympathizes for them. Troye Sivan spoke about this specific song to Genius, saying that it’s about one of his past breakups. Many of his fans suspect this is about Connor Franta, another creator on Youtube.

The title track of this album isn’t what many people expected. This track is borderline bubblegum to a point. The beat is pretty much the opposite of the song but blends together so perfectly. Troye Sivan explained ‘Bloom’ as a gay anthem. The song has a lot of nature imagery such as,”Take a trip into my garden.” This song is one to be proud of. Track 5 has become a very popular song lyrically. ‘Postcard’ is a song about having an imperfect partner and loving them for it. It is a very minimalistic song and still illustrates love.

‘Dance to This’ featuring Ariana Grande was a highly anticipated song. Since Sivan’s debut people have been begging for a Grande to collab with him. The song is very lowkey in tone and is described as a mellow dance track. Troye revealed to his fans that the song was inspired by ‘All Nite’ by Janet jackson. Both artist released their albums in August and took a new approach to music in them. This song took fans by surprise, nobody expected them to release such a simplistic and grown up song but it still became a bop and has appeared on Billboard charts.

Plum was the sixth song on the track and talked about the sour parts of a relationship. “Even the sweetest plum  has only got so long,” illustrates the one fact that many people know but refuse to believe, not all relationships last. The song goes hand in hand with The Good Side and is a song that you could listen to crying in the rain. Troye’s ninth track ‘Lucky Strike’ also illustrates the same thing.

The last songs in the album ‘What A Heavenly Way to Die’ and ‘Animal’ finish off the album telling the same story as ‘My My My!’ and ‘Bloom’. All songs illustrate growing and being in a real relationship. ‘Bloom’ has shown a more mature side of Troye that fans haven’t seen before. At 23, he has completely proven he isn’t a kid anymore and that he isn’t the same. Throughout the album, every song was different but tied into each other perfectly.