Capital Punishment

Amber Tingue, Contributor

Capital punishment, also known as the death penalty, has become an extremely controversial topic in America. Should this bylaw be in existence, or should it be abolished?

From 1976 to 2015, 1,392 executions took place in the United States. Of the 50 states, 31 of them have capital punishment with the primary method of execution being lethal injection. The injection is a three-drug concoction consisting of sodium thiopental, which is a sedative that induces unconsciousness. Pancuronium bromide is a muscle relaxer that induces paralysis, which stops breathing, and potassium chloride, which causes cardiac arrest, are both also included. There are secondary methods made option for executions such as, lethal gas, electrocution, nitrogen hypoxia, firing squad, and hanging.

Students at Benjamin Franklin High School were asked how they felt about capital punishment, and all responses were similar. Junior, Calvin Arayon, responded, “The death penalty is not justified. Taking away a human life won’t fix a wrong.” People could be falsely accused, and therefore die innocent, while the real culprit is roaming the streets. The killing does not solve any problems anyways. Jasmine Green, also a Junior, reciprocated with a question: “Why would a life be taken for the purpose of showing that taking lives is wrong?” Seventy-six percent of executions in the past 40 years were effectuated due to the killing of at least one white victim.

There have been enactments of 2018 that change the laws of the death penalty, some supporting it and some prohibiting certain things. Many of the enactments are for the prohibition of the execution of “the mentally disabled”. The Georgia SR 140 Enactment encourages the attorneys to seek the death penalty for the defenders who have killed law officers. Several laws have been enforced, but nothing changes the fact that the death penalty is still in existence.

Citizens of the United States pay taxes which keep the prisoners fed and sheltered. Do murderers deserve this treatment? Should people be keeping these savage human beings safe and off the streets in return for them taking a life? Senior, Matthew Evangelista, says, “A lifetime in prison is better than basically putting someone to sleep. People should feel the same pain they inflicted on their victims.” Lethal injection seems like the easy option out; murder someone in cold blood, and die a calm death.

An eye for an eye is a very old saying that has been seen in past works, like the Code of Hammurabi. If you take a life should your life be taken? Gandhi said “An eye for an eye makes the world go blind”. Sometimes the best option is not always the most fair. It is up to every individual to form their own opinions based on their beliefs: Is the death penalty acceptable?

Sources: http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/death-penalty.aspx

Sources: https://www.aclu.org/issues/capital-punishment

Amber Tingue, Contributor

Hey I'm Amber and I am a Junior. I actually like school sometimes, but I like most things so that's not very unusual.