Worries About College Application and Ways To Fix It

Karlie Dibell, Contributor

What worries people the most about college admissions? Many students have started the year off with researching the best colleges for them; typing up their essays and filling out their applications, which adds a huge amount of stress to their daily lives. College admissions can seem impossible for anyone, even those who have great grades struggle with college applications.

It is very common for students to gain much anxiety during the process. The requirements for some applications can be very strict and by applying to those colleges, students are making extensive amounts of decisions for their future. Another thing that weighs heavily on students is the reoccuring question, “Did I make a mistake?” People begin to overthink their application and begin to worry if they won’t be able to get into their dream school because of mistakes. Heather Fishel wrote an article about what students could do to fix their worries.

Heather Fishel explains that, “Every application will ask for your high school classes and SAT/ACT scores. Rather than relying on your brain to remember which classes you’ve taken, simply get a copy of your transcript from your school counselor. Don’t forget to grab your SAT/ACT score reports too; you’ll need to know your test dates and exact scores.” Once they’re done with inputting their SAT/ACT scores and classes, they must look it over one more time because just by looking at it again can go a long way. Even though mistakes can still be made, a college preparatory tutor Matt Seltz makes it obvious that, “Online applications often allow students to create a second version of their application. This means you can fix your mistakes.”

Another reason that students worry about is how to make their application stand out to the colleges they submit it to. Heather Fishel points out in her article that “While your GPA and test scores are the bulk of the application, your essays and Common Application supplements are where you can show your individuality. Schools want to know what you’re really like – honestly!” Matt Seltz explains that when schools ask what the student’s favorite food is, they really want to know because knowing that will really help them stand out. So not every question on students’ applications are trick questions. The reason colleges “assign” prompts for essays in the first place is to see what the student’s personality is like and what makes them unique.

Taryn Dibell and Bill Dibell were interviewed about their concerns and how they managed them.

Taryn Dibell: “I was worried if I was going to get accepted into the schools I applied for and how much money I need to pay. In general, if I got accepted to a college, I would become worried about where I was going to live and where I would get a job at. I fixed this by submitting more applications to schools of my second and third choice to widen my choices if I didn’t get into the school I really wanted to get into.”

Bill Dibell: “Would I get accepted? What courses would I have to take and would I be able to get grants and loans to cover tuition? I did the best that I could do to ensure that I filled out my application completely and asked my parents for their advice.”

Sources:

https://www.campusexplorer.com/college-advice-tips/9C02BBB8/Top-3-College-Application-Worries/

Karlie Dibell, Contributor

My name is Karlie Dibell and I am a sophomore. I am a writer and photographer. I love to take pictures of animals and other things in nature. My favorite...