Insatiable Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Insatiable Review

Manaia Carpenter, contributor

Netflix has just released a new TV series called Insatiable. Debby Ryan plays the role of a young teenager name Patty that has gone to school since she was little and has gotten bullied. Her classmates give her the name of “Fatty Patty” because of the way she looks. Like every other teenager girl, Patty has insecurities which revolve around her weight. Since she was little, she has had an addiction to food. It’s been her solution to all her problems she has had in life. Growing up and being bullied, Patty has had only one person she can count on which is her best friend, Nonnie. Nonnie has known Patty since they were little and has been there when Patty’s mom could not be. Patty’s mother is another reason why Patty resolves to comfort food. Her mother has been in and out of her life because of her own problems to drugs and alcohol. When Patty gets upset or mad she tends to lead her way to food. When she does not have food she gets very bad anger issues she cannot control. During the first episode Patty is upset that her crush rejects her because of how she looks. She finds herself to eating a candy bar on the side of the street and a homeless man sits next to her. The homeless man asked her if he can have some of her candy bar but she said no. The man’s feelings get hurt and responds to her answer with negative slurs about her body. Patty of course gets mad and decides to punch him in his face. The man bounces back and punches her back in her face but harder. Patty was taken to the hospital with injuries that could not let her eat a whole meal but solids for a couple months.

As Patty gets better and out of the hospital she has lost a lot of weight because of the diet she was on. As it is good news to her, she has been sued for assaulting the homeless man. At that period of time, Patty’s mother is back in the picture and is looking for a lawyer to help dismiss this case. This is when a man by the name Bob Armstrong comes in to save the day. Patty and Bob have a strong and understanding relationship. Bob is not only a lawyer but a pageant coach. He has had a rough patch in the pageant community because of being accused for touching another pageant girl inappropriately. As time passes Patty develops feelings for Bob because of him saving her. She falls in love because of the way he sees potential in her and because he is the first one to share kind words to her besides her best friend. The problem is that Bob is a middle age married man and has a son named Brick that is Patty’s age. The plot unravels through each new episode.

Insatiable is definitely targeting the drama loving audience and, so far, they’re getting the recognition they were after

Manaia Carpenter, Contributor

Hi! I am Manaia Carpenter and I am sixteen years old. I am a junior in high school and will be a high school graduate in the year of 2020. I enjoy playing...