How to Survive High School

Sydney Fish, Contributor

High School is never easy to get through if you do not know how to survive it. High School is full of a lot of different types of people: people who try and want to be successful, and people who do not care but still go to school because their parents make them. Motivation is one of the most important things a student needs to get through high school. For some people, their motivation is getting good grades so they can achieve a good career in the future, but for others it can be keeping up with their grades so they could remain on a sports team. Focusing more on the social side of high school, it is important to find friends who are a good influence and have the same virtues.

In high school, everyone has a reputation. It is important high schoolers know what is right. The best way to portray oneself is to be seen as someone who is kind to everyone, hardworking, and someone who has a positive attitude. Balance is also a key part going into high school. Having all AP classes and doing extra curricular activities could be too much at one time. High school will be a lot easier on a student if they take on activities/classes they know they can handle.

Next would be procrastination. Procrastinating is one of the main problems high school students struggle with. Procrastination happens because most of the time, they would rather do other activities rather than doing something they are supposed to be doing. To prevent this, start on homework assignments early. As soon as you get home from school, get all your homework done so that you have the rest of the day to relax. When you procrastinate one thing, that leads to more assignments which then causes loads of stress. Using a planner is a way to keep track of your assignments and upcoming assignments so you can start on them early. Showing up on time can also relieve some of that stress that comes from school. When you don’t show up on time, it is typically caused by accidentally sleeping in. Try to be punctual and school can come a lot smoother.

One of the main reasons students come to school is to learn. Learning requires you to listen. Getting distracted in class and not paying attention can cause you to have more homework because, in order to pass the upcoming test, you need to know the material. Studying for a test can be challenging if you do not know good studying skills or habits. For some people, listening to classical or instrumental music can help with focusing. Today, teenagers get distracted by music because the music they listen to is played off of their phones so then they become distracted by texts, games, or social media. If you think you could get distracted by that, try a different study habit by turning off your phone and going to a quiet place.

Lastly, save the weekends for yourself! Teenagers really appreciate weekends because that is when they get to do what they want. It is important to save some time for other activities you would like to partake in. If you use all of these tips, you will be able to use them throughout your life and be successful. High school is not easy, but having a positive attitude will get you through it.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Survive-High-School/

Sydney Fish, Contributor

My name is Sydney Fish. I am a senior.