BFHS’ Dance Company

Trina Phan, Contributor

Benjamin Franklin High School’s very own dance company had a major success this school year, especially since it’s their second year since being established. Sadly, the dance company season has come to an end, but they celebrated their end with a delightful banquet. However, they still do practices and put on concerts until the end of the year. In the company, there is Miss Mcleod, the dance instructor, and fourteen dancers: four juniors, eight sophomores, and two freshmen.

Throughout the season, these dancers have participated in competitions and performed in multiple concerts to demonstrate their proficiency in dancing. There were two competitions they participated in where they performed two dances: hip-hop and jazz. In their first competition called the Cactus Cup UDA at Desert Ridge High School, the girls received second place for hip-hop and sixth place for jazz.  Then in their second competition called the Cactus Jam, they obtained third place in hip-hop and seventh place in jazz at Horizon High School. Consistently in both competitions, their jazz attire was rewarded the best costume.

Not only did they perform at competitions, but they also showcased their craft in concerts. With three concerts so far and another one coming up, they have had a great success in their shows. Especially in the most recent performance, they all wore orange ribbons to honor Jaime Guttenberg, a student dancer who was a victim in the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting.

These girls have worked and trained for countless hours; accumulating to around 136 plus hours during the whole school year. Just in the last semester, the dancers practiced tumbling for one of their performances every Thursday for an hour after school. They even practiced outside of school for about 8 hours each month. This exemplifies the great zeal these girls demonstrate to work and perfect their skills.

Since the season is finished, the dance company held a banquet to express their achievements. With the boosters the dancers were able to sell; it created a major triumph in having customized posters for each dancer, cupcakes with a picture of them, and shirts. Libby Brown said that the banquet was a time to reflect on all the achievements the dancers accomplished throughout the year and it was a place to showcase their hard work. Included in the banquet were blue, gold, and silver balloons at the entrance and a long table with their placemats, names, and gift bags. During the banquet, the dancers were shown a slideshow of their dances and pictures. Then, awards were given out to emphasize the dancers’ talents and achievements.

Sydney Aguero, a sophomore dancer, stated,” The dance banquet was amazing! It was set up perfectly! Dance is super stressful all year around, but it is so nice to have a break from it and enjoy time together with great friends.” Nikki Hutchings, another sophomore dancer, commented,” All of the girls on the dance company are incredibly sweet and I had the best year with them. We have been through so much together and have grown as a team and I am so thankful that I had a chance to be a part of it. They are my second family.” Libby Brown expressed how they sacrificed for the team- multiple hours of repeating the same routine, performing at half-time games, and doing pep assemblies. She loved every moment of it–  the experiences she received to the relationships she formed with others.

Throughout the 2017- 2018 school year, these dancers exhibited their grace and passion for dance with their strong commitment to every competition and concerts. Many if not all have grown more because of dance. Even though the company has ended for the season, they are still practicing every day in class for the next school year!