Student Opinions on Teacher Walk-Outs

Shruti Patel, Contributor

Due to the recent development of the #RedforEd campaign, which advocates for more pay for teachers, the school paper decided to ask students for their opinions on these teacher walk outs. The teacher walk outs have been happening all over the country in the wake of teachers wanting a pay that supported more than just bare necessities. The campaign also advocates for more money in schools to replace outdated books, newer supplies to make teaching more efficient, and in general help schools and teachers financially.

Some of the questions asked were: What do you think of the teacher walk out? Do you think teachers should be paid more? Why/Why not?

Grace Vickery: “My opinion on the teacher walk out is that there can be more effective ways to get a point across than shouting and throwing signs. I do think teachers should get more pay, however with the expense of quality teaching.”

Erin McBride: “I think it’s acceptable for them to do this, because teachers deserve more pay. They have the very important job, as they educate the upcoming generations. They also have to deal with privileged, lazy, rude children.”

Jose Ochoa: “I think it is unnecessary. It makes them look childish.”

Kalee Porter: “Something such as teacher walk outs is very needed, especially in Arizona. Arizona is the 49th in terms of highest paid. Teachers need to get paid a lot more for so many reasons. There is the fact that teachers attribute so much more to society than athletes or entertainers do. I respect the entertainment industry very much and all that it can do for our society. But entertainers such as athletes do not need to be paid millions of dollars a year. Teachers have to put in a constant amount of work so that they can help mold the future generations into what they need to be. That specific and very tremendous task of teachers should be valued a lot more than any NFL football player in terms of salary.”

Another question that was asked was; if you were a teacher, would you have participated? Why/Why not?

Erin McBride: “If I was a teacher, I would participate IF I was guaranteed to NOT lose my job.”

Grace Vickery: “If I were a teacher, I would not participate in the walkout, but find other ways to voice my ideas.”

Kalee Porter: “If I was a teacher, I would most definitely walk out. In this country, we are given a great freedom of protest. If there is an issue that needs to be addressed by the people, then I don’t understand why people would stay silent and not exercise that right. The only way that things are going to get better is if the people care about subjects like this and try to implement change. The only way to start change, is to use your voice to say there is something wrong. People’s issues need to be heard so that other people understand that there are problems that need to be addressed. People around the country know and have known that teachers don’t get paid a lot so it’s about time that we start speaking up against this.”