Clear Backpacks Hit the Halls

Sydney Ridgway, Contributor

After the Florida shooting, many precuations were taken into consideration, such as how the student’s safety was going to be ensured? Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland, Florida decided that all students must have transparent backpacks. After the students returned from spring break they were also required to wear ID badges.

Thousands of clear transparent backpacks were donated to schools. Jaclyn Corin, a student at Stoneman douglas High tweeted “…it’s a shame b/c they should’ve been given to a school that actually needs the supplies.” Some complaints were released about the fact that these backpacks were being wasted.

Other concerns about the clear backpacks were that the attack couldn’t have been prevented due to the fact that the shooter was not a current student at the school. This new rule does not ensure the safety of the students from any outside attackers. Kyrah Simon tweeted that “Not every item placed in the bag is visible and their is no possible way to monitor the contents of over 3000 backpacks.”  The point she brings up is that there is no way to constantly check their bags. This may be able to cut back on the risk of any weapons making it on campus no solution for any outsiders has been put into motion. However, there has been talks of metal detectors being put into place.

Parkland High is not the only industry participating in this transparent trend. After the Boston Bombings that took place in 2013, the NFL made the step to only allow clear bags to enter the stadiums for games. Although not many other schools have been considering this decision or have made this step.

With this new rule many students reacted with fear that the risk of their possessions being stolen was raised. Some reacted with jokes. Tyah-Amoy Roberts tweeted “PSA: given these new clear backpacks, you will now be able to see that I have my phone charger with me. No, you cannot borrow it (you can’t have any gum either).”  He definitely had the right idea to joke around, making the best out of this new rule and so did many other students around campus, such as decorating their bags.

Many of the Parkland students were less than happy about this decision. So much that they placed price tags in their bags with $1.05 on them. According to bbc.com, this “represents the total received by Florida Senator Marco Rubio from the NRA divided by the number of students in the state.” Students are saying “this bag is probably worth more than my life.”

After the numerous school attacks, many new rules were instituted to help keep students safe. Students come to school to learn and when their lives are being put at risk, it makes learning less enjoyable. With complaints on gun laws and restrictions, many are protesting and pushing for more decisions and things to be done. This is just one of the many things school boards are doing to try and help students be able to learn in a safe environment.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43626893