Studying Abroad Vs. Studying Domestically

Alexis Banks, Contributor

Students in the United States are planning where they are going to study to get the job that they want in the future, or at least have a number of options to chose from. Starting to plan in freshman and sophomore year is smart because it’s so important to decide what their strengths and weaknesses are. This will help you chose a college. Students look at a number of colleges for the quality of the college, or colleges that provide good departments for the degree they want. Most students don’t look at the price they’re going to pay in total because they can take out loans to pay for it temporarily. Soon they will have to pay it all back or someone else must take on the responsibility. This may be true in the USA, but in England, if a student has any debt by the time they turn a certain age, their debt is whipped and they no longer have to pay it.

Their debt is gone after that point and they don’t have to pay it anymore. Of course the government on England runs a little differently in the way that they control your bank account and will eventually get that money, but there is a way around this. For example, Dr. David Collings went to the Univeristy of Durham for college and still has debt from his student loans. But, because doctor lives in the USA on a work visa, the England government does not control his finances and he does not have to pay off his student debt at the moment. If doctor stays in the United States until the moment they take away his debt, he would not of had to pay off his student debt ever. That’s why studying internationally for someone who lives in the states, is better than studying domestically in the USA. You can live in England and go to college, then move back to the states once you’ve finished to live our life.

There are still some things someone from the states has to pay for if they do go to college in England. This includes international fees. A website called Unigo said in an article, “Most universities in the UK accept financial aid provided by the U.S. federal government.” Using the government to help pay for college, is a great idea, and going to England to study opens up that opportunity greatly. The government can help pay for it, but even if they did not help you and you do not want their help, it would still be cheaper to pay for than here. International fees and all, college in England is cheaper.

Going to England to study abroad is smart and recommended by the man who helped give most of the information: Dr. David Collings. It’s also encouraged by websites like Unigo when they say, “Going to school in the UK can mean a world-class education and an international experience at a price well below that of a private, four-year American university.” Their article also helps explain how to apply for colleges in England because it’s not that complicated of a process, it just takes understanding.

Studying abroad is the smart choice to make when picking your college. For seniors it’s recommended to study abroad. It’s cheaper and way more exciting than studying in the states.