#RedForEd Teachers Walkout

Karlie Dibell, Contributor

At the beginning of March, Teachers of Arizona began the #RedForEd movement. It started with a group of teachers coming together on social media (Facebook) and spread the idea of teachers not being paid enough for their teaching. Virginia and Oklahoma joined in on this movement as well. It was said that this was most likely the largest demonstration of unity among Arizona educators in recent history. The teachers in all three states began to list their priorities of change and tagged Governor Doug Ducey and put the hashtag #RedForEd. A few of their “priorities of change” include smaller class sizes and qualified teachers, but the most common is the demand for a higher salary. Organizers of the protest planned this gathering of the teachers in person for the date, March 28 between 4 and 7 p.m. after school hours. Calling their organization Save Our Schools Arizona. This group mostly contains small amounts of parents and public education advocates. Many have explained that since this “problem” has not gone away, they will not go away until it has been fixed.

Arizona teachers began the protest with demanding for 9% more money and gradually made it to the point of demanding 20% more. About 2,500 teachers and their supporters cheered organizers of the Arizona Educators United group as they announced their list of demands of Gov. Doug Ducey and the Legislature at an evening rally at the Capitol. Numerous educators exclaimed that Doug Ducey and state legislators have failed Arizona’s students by not providing the appropriate amount of funding for public education. The organizers told the governor and the state lawmakers that if they do not satisfy their demands, they would go on strike. “Governor Ducey, Legislature, the last thing that any of us want to do is go on strike, but if we have to, we will,” which was explained by Dylan Wegela, an organizer and teacher in the Cartwright School District. Since the beginning of this movement, the educators of Arizona have discussed among themselves the possibility of a statewide walkout or strike.

The average pay for teachers throughout Arizona is about $42, 474. If the teachers get the response they want from the governor and state lawmakers, the 20% demand would total the pay for about $50,969.  State officials have estimated a 1 percent pay hike for teachers costs about $34 million, which would turn out, in the end, a huge raise in cost. A 20 percent raise could cost the state about $680 million. Though with the raise, it would still put the salary of the Arizona teachers below the average pay for other states.

Many teachers have made very enthusiastically pleas for the state to address their pay, saying their low paying jobs have forced them to live with parents, work multiple jobs, hold off on starting families, or quit teaching entirely to make ends meet. Teachers and other educators have tried to explain that the pay issue threatens Arizona students’ access to qualified teachers and a quality public education because it has caused thousands of experienced teachers to leave Arizona’s classrooms.

“Arizona Educators United is prepared to do whatever it takes to reach our demands,” Wegela said. “However, we will do everything in our power to avoid a strike. As educators, we’re willing to put kids first, even when the state won’t.”

Sources:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-education/2018/03/12/redfored-arizona-teachers-plan-march-protest/411629002/

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona-education/2018/03/28/arizona-teachers-demand-20-percent-raise-education-funding-governor-doug-ducey-legislature-redfored/462810002/