The Social Standards or High School

Alexis Anderson, Contributor

Ever since the beginning of mankind there has been a status man must live up to: following the rules and restrictions of social barriers. If people aren’t where they want to be then they better do something about it, which usually ends up turning them into someone else and they are stuck pretending to be someone they’re not.

Are people influenced by what they watch on TV and in the movies or are social standards in the movies simply because it is the sad truth of life? Why is it that people can be favored or get away with just about anything simply because they play football or are the head cheerleader? Or because they know people? What ever happened to making  a name for oneself through hard work and using virtue to become a better well-rounded human being? Everyone should be able to live in happiness and harmony not feeling left out, forgotten, or labeled. Whatever the case may be, there is one fact all the universe can agree on: life is definitely not like High School Musical.

People should not be made fun of for their character or simply because they are not “hanging with the right crowd.” It’s not their fault they are rejected because they are where they belong and with the people who truly love and care for them. Some people have no desire to pretend or be fake. Students should be able to show their true worth through their actual character. Not through some expensive foundation and liquid eyeliner that took them half an hour to apply. Hard work can actually help improve a student’s character and cause them to be likable, whereas people who put forth no work or think that they can get by through high school by being popular may not be admired as much as they believe now or in the future.

Social classes don’t only exist in school or in the movies, but are also prevalent in society. It is how the economy grows and works: people work for money, people have money, and people spend money. Could the sadness teenagers face during high school or the ability they have to fit in be preparing them for the real world? Is there anyway that the social outcast could become the next president or must we stick to our labels and prepare our future according to our title.

Sofie Kile mentioned, “Even though movies dramatize it, there are still popular and unpopular kids. Normally those unpopular kids are under appreciated, and the popular kids are praised…we’re all humans and we shouldn’t think that other people are of more or less value.” It seems harsh that many students or people in general believe the answer to their problems is running away; they will move away to another part of the world just to get a fresh start and make a new name for themselves.

Starting with not only destroying social classes, but also learning to edit them enough that we can all live in peace and real happiness may start the process to ending world hunger, stopping domestic violence, racism, or even allow the smallest voice to be heard instead of having to cause enough chaos to be recognized. That may be a stretch or looking at the complete big picture but it could start small and simple by repairing relationships, drawing the family closer together, or even starting new, longer lasting friendships.