Should We Teach Morality

Logan Haydok, Contributor

The purpose of school is to prepare a person for the rest of their adult life; To help them become independent critical thinking humans. The goal of this education is to create the most effective society possible. One that can help people thrive as a community. This is only obtained through the will of each individual person. The people have to feel not only an obligation to work with others but they need to want to actively participate within this. This is something that is not inherently engraved within our minds. We as humans are naturally inclined to do what is best for the individual person at that specific moment. More specifically, what is best for ourselves.

This selfish sense of life provides nothing and has no place within a productive society. To combat this, we must teach people why they need to strive for community and a certain level of selflessness. Most would argue that the parents’ job is to teach morality. However, it appears that the majority of parents either lack the skills in order to effectively teach their child, or they simply don’t care enough to teach. this is not something that can be fixed through the teaching of parents. if parents cannot do this for their child, others must.  The most simple way to do this which would reach every child would be to teach them about morality within the schooling system. if this were to happen, many more people would go out into the world happy to help his fellow citizen out. As life is right now, people are mainly focused on themselves rather than helping others. This causes a rift within every society. it prohibits us from properly communicating our thoughts and our beliefs.

The real true question is how do we do this, and what sort of morality do we teach to the students so that way everyone has some sort of differing idea as to what is the proper way to live life. The most effective way that we can jump over this obstacle is to teach a philosophy that places emphasis on the positive effects on society that coming together can bring to society and the individual person.