Blankets, Against Dress Code?

Alexis Anderson, Contributor

Recently it has come to the attention of many students that blankets are supposedly against dress code. An incident occurred in which a student, who did not have a zero hour, was sitting in the cafeteria during zero hour working on homework while using a blanket and a teacher approached them telling them to remove their blanket because it was against dress code. Not only did they tell them they are not allowed to use a blanket but that if the student believed they were going to be cold then they should simply wear additional layers of clothing and adjust as needed; no one wants to be told how many layers of clothing they should have to wear in order to support their body temperatures, but especially no one wants to come to school wearing three pairs of pants and have to take a pair off during math class because they are too hot.

Are blankets really against dress code? Is half of the school’s population breaking dress code? What is the punishment for such a crime? So many unanswered questions were asked that so many students turned to the Family Handbook in their agendas under the Dress Code Policy to confirm. There are many rules: from no extreme hair colors or makeup to no basketball shorts or leggings. The only rule in the dress code that came close to mentioning blankets was that of “Pajama bottoms, sagging or dragging pants, and other “over-sized” clothing are not acceptable attire at school”. Even then no mention of the word blanket or even pillow for that fact.

Blankets are not considered clothing and they are made specifically to keep the users warm and comfortable; two things any high school student would love to be in a classroom while they are sitting and filling their brains with knowledge. Besides, if a student wears their blanket across their shoulders and add a belt it looks more like a shawl or coat than  wondrous luxury that may be used will sleeping.

Even with Arizona’s hot climates, winter can still be frigid and those that ride the bus in the morning might wish to be more comfortable when sitting on a frozen seat with no heater to keep them warm. If they are bringing their blanket to use in the mornings what difference does it make if one uses a blanket in class when all the teachers decide to have their thermostats down in the negatives. Even students who do not ride the bus may get to school when it is still pitch black outside and may so desire to have a warm comfort. It is not uncommon to see many students with blankets once or twice a week or to see them huddling with friends to share body heat.

Heaven forbid a student should be seen with a blanket. If a student should refuse or show any form of retaliation then give them a detention or why even bother? Go straight to expulsion. This is a school where there is no such thing as simple, comfort, or joy. Thank goodness that is not how our school is ran. Teachers and faculty try their best to help shape the well-rounded future of America, by confiscating one fluffy blanket with bright-pink unicorns at a time.