Should People Who Falsely Accuse Others Be Accused Instead?

Karlie Dibell, Contributor

Have you ever wondered what happens to the people who falsely accuse others? This problem has occurred a few times around the United States. For example, a man named , Radley Balko, has told his side of a story explaining about how police and attorneys in Louisiana apparently flat out lied to claim that a process server, Douglas Dendinger, “assaulted” a police officer he was serving. Later it was found out that this was never true, but was still arrested for it. He was thrown into jail for two years even though he did not assault the officer. Before the case was dropped, a few of Dendinger’s family members showed a video as evidence showing him not doing anything of the sort. Though the officer said that Dendinger assaulted him. During the decision of sending Dendinger to jail, the officer came up with seven witnesses to go against Dendinger. A few questions were thrown up in the air asking, “Why aren’t the seven witnesses to Dendinger’s nonexistent assault on the officer already facing felony charges? Why are all but one of the cops who filed false reports still wearing badges and collecting paychecks? Why aren’t the attorneys who filed false reports facing disbarment?”

Many other cases very similar to the one above has occurred. Should they be faced with charges? What do you think should happen to the people that were taken to jail for something that was false? Students, staff, and parents were asked these questions and responded with strong opinions.

Randi Brady- “In a situation like above, yes I do believe that charges should be filed and consequences should be assigned because the consequences that this person who was sent to jail encounters will be life long throughout his life. Especially including employment and relationships. I also see that, that particular situation is an abuse of power and wholly inappropriate for any person within a public service role. If it is proven to be false, then those records need to be corrected and then sealed to prevent a negative impact on the rest of their life as much as possible. You cannot take away the experience of being jailed, so that person will still have life long affects of these false accusations.”

Mr. Economou- “I don’t think that that would be the right thing, but they should be charged for slander. I think the person in jail should be exonerated and all charges should be dropped.” Mr. Economou does have a good point. There could be other ways to solve the problems of these situations. Though the next opinion thought differently.

Zachary Halbison- “I think that false accusations of any crime should indeed be charged. Especially with false accusations of rape. The people who were taken to jail because of false accusations should be given money by the person who falsely accused them.” He also had a great point.

The problem with being accused of stalking, assaulting, child abuse, narcissistic rage, and many others is that it will follow a person for the rest of their life no matter what they do. It stops them from getting jobs, having a house. It also ruins their relationships with family and friends. Should people who wrongly accuse be charged as a fellon? Should they not be charged at all?