Sixth Grade Day – A New Transition

Gaby Hudson, Contributor

Sixth graders, sixth graders…they are everywhere! The grade schoolers are infiltrating our school. Our High School. Not really.  Benjamin Franklin High School just hosted several graduating sixth graders to give them a peak into the awesome digs we High Schoolers call home.

Student Government toured these new, wannabe upper classmen around the different areas of the school. They were shown the gymnasium, some classrooms, weight room, student union and all the while, walking around like little fish out of water and clearly intimidated for the next chapter in their educational lives.

Nobody is surprised that these youngsters feel this way. Why, you ask? Well it was just a few years ago at best, that most everyone in this school was doing the same thing, or in the case of those that were indoctrinated into BFHS as soon as the school was opened, it was trial by fire. First day of school was the orientation, sort of…so much bigger, so much nicer than the portable buildings that once were Benjamin Franklin Elementary School. So much to be proud of as well. Now the mascot is the Chargers! Why not the Falcons?  Aren’t we all Benjamin Franklin? Let’s leave that to the people in the front office to figure that one out.

The bottom line is this. It is a transition. It’s a change. It is a big change. No longer will there be snack time or recess. What? No Recess?  What happened to recess? Well, its just gone.  That’s all the explanation those in High School were given and that’s all these newbies are going to get as well. Now school is serious. It all counts.  No more lazy work and still move along to the next grade. Now your effort will show loud and clear and your lack thereof will show even louder.

The friendly home room teacher will not call the parents and let them know Little Johnny or Little Suzie didn’t do well on a test or quiz today. Now, the parents find out at progress report time or report card time, unless they are dialed in enough to get them off the website. Can’t hide the less than stellar grades now…all of the work is important, even the stuff that isn’t fun.

This sounds like a lot of doom and gloom. Mostly satire. The experiences the new sixth graders are going to have will be amazing.  For the first time they will not be treated as little kids, regardless of their height, but seriously each new seventh grader will be looked at differently. Each student will be responsible for their own actions, their own work effort, their own GPA.

The independence that follows will begin to form new leaders of the school, will begin to focus students into potential careers and will allow so many new friendships to develop. High school is an important time in each sixth graders life. It is a transition.  It is a transition that every student can’t wait to start. And after four years it is also a transition every senior in high school can’t wait to end. Why, you ask? For another transition.