Should High Schools Have a Mandatory Life Skills Course

logan hayduk, staff

Many students graduate from high school and have no idea how to do many important things that are expected of them. The now-adults have no idea how to do taxes, change a tire, or even write a proper resume. These are all things that they need to know. Some might say that it is the parent’s job to teach these skills; however, in reality, many parents don’t show their kids how to do these things. For this reason, graduates go out into the world completely clueless as to how they will survive without any knowledge about regular everyday common activities

If the school system were to make a mandatory life skills class, this would be easily fixed. However, there might be question as to why it is mandatory and not an elective that someone could choose to take. A schools purpose is to educate a child and help them prepare for life so that they can live prosperously. Hence the reason that it is mandatory that we learn math; Many activities in life even simple ones such as jobs will require some amount of math in order to complete this. therefore, math is made mandatory in order for someone to succeed. If this is mandatory, why are life skills such as taxes not made mandatory. the graduate is shoved out into the world with no way of having proper success. Yet the schooling system still refuses to make these changes and the people suffer for it. Since it is a schools job to give you a proper education they need to implement a system where you are required to learn life skills.

The system in place would help students learn about taxes, applications, resumes, and other such things that they simply have to know in order to succeed. The best grade to do this in would be eleventh grade when they are beginning to drive and have jobs. Almost everyone in the grade would be interested within the course as it would provide things to them that they would already have needed to know. Instead of taking a band course or a course of speech and debate , which both of them are important but unnecessary, they could take one of these electives but not both. The grading in the class would be a breeze for the teacher as it would mainly be based off of participation. This class would prepare the student for the adult world where they will be mainly dependent upon themselves. They can’t ask a parent every time they need to do a simple task. This class would benefit everyone. More people would go out into the world with the knowledge they need to live comfortably. While they wouldn’t know everything, they would know more than enough to thrive within their lives.