It’s a…GIRL!

Alexis Anderson, Contributor

For those of you who may not know our school’s choir teacher, Mrs. Clegg, is pregnant with a baby girl. Many of the students that have taken choir throughout the years have become very close friends with her. One of the interesting things that has been pointed out, is the fact that many of Mrs. Clegg’s students hoped that she would be having a baby soon. They were all overjoyed when the announcement came that she would be having her first child.

Due to the fact that the choir students of Benjamin Franklin were so excited to hear the news concerning her pregnancy, it was decided that Mrs. Clegg would have a gender reveal party. Sarah Gaspar, one of our very own sophomores, loved the idea and wanted to help plan for it. The date was set, and on January 9th it was announced that she would have a girl. In preparation, she made over two hundred cupcakes and they were titled “ties vs. tutus”. They were amazing and looked as if they were done professionally: covered in fondant, pearls, and other candies; they also came in chocolate or vanilla, which was a nice plus for those picky eaters sworn to a specific flavor. “She really went all out with these, I might have to have her come help me with a few projects in the future,” Kalana Billingsley remarked. One bite of these beautiful looking desserts and you would find the frosting in the middle revealing the gender of the soon to be baby Clegg. Sarah commented, “I’m just relieved it’s all over, I have sworn to secrecy forever ago and it killed me not to tell anyone.”

A vote was taken right before the countdown, and the vast majority did hope for a baby boy. However, those that voted girl were correct! The frosting in the middle was a beautiful bright pink. Many pretended to be disappointed but everyone was really excited to have a miniature Mrs. Clegg in the future. The baby that is to be born is due near the end of April and it was announced that her name will be Ruby Mae after her grandparents-to-be. This sure seems fitting for a little spring baby. The pregnancy has gone well and easy with surprisingly little to no complications, problems, or even any weird cravings.

It was funny to see how many students that don’t even take choir or don’t even really know Mrs. Clegg were excited for her. This just shows how closely knit our school is and how supporting were are for each other. It will be fascinating to see how Mrs. Clegg has started the beginning of the pregnancy months, the time when all our friends, family, and acquaintances all are excited to have their spring babies. Benjamin Franklin High School staff and students combined could most likely agree we hope the best for Mrs. Clegg and her little Ruby Mae.