27th Anniversary of Pennywise

Leslie Garcia, Contributor

Stephen King’s “It” has been the main topic of discussion for many of those who have recently seen the new screen adaptation, telling the classic story of Pennywise the horrifying clown.

The 2017 remake comes from the original film that had come out in 1990, and was a mini-series that aired on primetime television. Anybody who was watched the movie or read the story knows the timeline of both films were obviously planned. It’s no coincidence they came out with a remake 27 years later. The planned timing references a detail in the book that states that Pennywise comes around every 27 years to feast on the fear of children and children themselves for an entire year. Clever.

So, who is Pennywise?

Pennywise is an alien that torments the town of Derry but specifically targets the young children, thus taking on the form of a clown to attract young ones. When children disappear, the people of Derry have absolutely no explanation for all the “missing children.” The main characters (Richie, Beverly, Bill, Eddie, Stanley,  Mike) are known as the “loser’s club” and are often picked on by the bullies in school. Throughout the story, they find themselves getting haunted by what seems to be their own worst nightmares. Connecting one and two together, they all team up to find out exactly why all of them are the only ones getting tormented with all these unfortunate events. With research, they find out about a certain clown that goes by the name of Pennywise and discovered that all the missing children, past and present, are linked back to him. They all gang up together to find him and try to kill him.

The new release of the film ends with Pennywise surviving, going back into hibernation; however, the “loser’s club” makes a pact to return to the town should Pennywise return to Derry in 27 years. Fans of the story and film now have to wait for the sequel to be released, which will focus on the return of the “loser’s club” as adults.