Carmelo Anthony Trade

Cameron Bender, Contributor

On Sunday, the NBA was shocked with another huge off-season trade when, once again, another superstar was traded to another superteam. On Sunday, the New York Knicks traded superstar Carmelo Anthony to the Oklahoma City Thunder forming another “Big Three” featuring superstars Russel Westbrook, Paul George, and now Carmelo Anthony.

“This is a deal we feel works for both this franchise and Carmelo,” said Stave Mills, Knicks president, in a statement released by the team. “We thank him for his seven seasons in a Knicks uniform and all that he accomplished off the court for the City of New York by using his platform to address social issues. We will continue to focus on this team looking forward towards the immediate and long-term future. As we have said recently, this is a new beginning for the New York Knicks.”

According to ESPN, the trade ends Anthony’s 6½-season tenure in New York. The Knicks had been talking to teams about an Anthony trade for several months, beginning under Phil Jackson’s presidency. The deal was agreed to on Saturday afternoon, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, after Anthony, who has a no-trade clause, included the Thunder and the Cleveland Cavaliers on the list of teams to which he’d accept a trade.

“Thank you to all my fans who supported me through thick and thin,” said Carmelo, after the trade.

In response to the trade, Scott Perry, general manager for the Knicks stated, “We acquired two 25-year-old players in this deal that we can develop, while sticking with our overall strategy of emphasizing youth and athleticism. With this trade, we have added scoring and aggressiveness to our frontcourt, and bolstered the team’s perimeter shooting. We are glad to have finalized a trade that made sense for all of us.”

This trade is very lopsided for the New York Knicks because they lost their superstar; however, the future of the Thunder looks very bright and they could be championship contenders this year.