The Misuse of Slader

Chloe Hewitt, Contributor

I’m sure many of you know of the site called “Slader”. I’m also sure that many of you have used it, whether it was to check your homework answers, or to take the easy way out and copy the answers from the site. This however, is not a good idea. Here at Ben Franklin, we have high expectations for the students who attend. Our teachers know of Slader, and know how to work a computer or phone to look up the answers and compare them to yours. Recently, there were a handful of students in Spanish II that received detentions for using Slader.

Is it really worth the risk?

Honestly, it is so much less of a hassle to just do the work yourself, instead of using Slader and having to worry about whether or not you will get caught. Also, if you want to get into a decent college, you’ll want to be sure that you don’t have something like cheating on your permanent record. If you talk to a teacher about using Slader to check your answers, then it is okay.

Slader was created to help students learn, not help them cheat. Today, Slader is being completely misused. Most commonly, students use Slader for math and foreign language classes, but if you think about it, not doing the homework for those classes is crucial. Homework in those classes are important because they are a major part of what you learn in class. If you are someone who uses Slader on the daily, chances are your test grades are going to suffer. When you actually pay attention, do the homework, and participate in class, your grades will improve.

When you use Slader, in a way, you are setting low standards for yourself. It also makes your teachers think lowly of you. It is so simple to just do your homework, sure it make take a little extra time to do it, but it is better than having to serve extra time in the detention room. Having a clean record is so much more satisfying than having that one boulder that drags you down. It is sad to hear that there are students who know it is bad and dishonest to use Slader, but don’t care, and continue to use it.

My recommendation is: do your homework. It is not that hard to do what you learned a couple of hours ago in school. Why would you want to be stressed about your teachers finding out and getting a detention? No one wants that. Plus, it is no fair to those who actually did their homework and get worse scores than you did on your homework because you were dishonest.

The main point is, don’t use Slader, because you may not realize it, but doing your homework is much more beneficial than cheating ever will be.