Hurricane Jose, One After Another!

Karlie Dibell, Contributor

Another one?! The United States has been caught up in a very unfortunate situation. First hurricane Harvey, then Irma, followed by Katia, and now we have this!

Hurricane Harvey caused extreme damage all over Texas and parts of Louisiana. Harvey brought excessive rainfall and catastrophic flooding, killed at least 74 people and lasted up to about a week. Then, there was Hurricane Katia, that formed on August 29th, made landfall September 13th in Mexico, and killed about two people. Unfortunately, right after Katia ended, a powerful earthquake appeared in Mexico killing roughly 64 people. Next followed Hurricane Irma, which is now in Florida creating excessive damage.

After Irma ravaged the Caribbean, Jose formed, posing a dangerous threat to the already wrecked houses, businesses, shelters, etc. Jose passed north of the Caribbean islands and Puerto Rico as a category four. The Netherland’s Navy exclaimed that the situation was “better than expected” after it made its way through. Hurricane Jose lost some of its power on Thursday, and forecasts indicate the effect on Pennsylvania will be minimal at best.

The hurricane was downgraded to a tropical storm Thursday, with winds clocking in at 70 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center. National Weather Service meteorologist Aaron Tyburski said the storm was moving very slowly, and was between Bermuda and Puerto Rico as of 5 p.m. on Thursday. The storm is expected to move northeast up the coast, and Tyburski said forecast models indicate it could strengthen back to a hurricane with sustained winds of 90 mph. Jose is expected to make landfall around the Washington, Pennsylvania, New York area, but only cause minimal damage hopefully. Forecasters have said that even though the hurricane has downgraded to a Tropical storm, Jose is expected to regain strength as it storms its way to the US. The US is still recovering from the extreme damage of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. Though it is not uncommon for hurricanes to form at this time of year, it is most unfortunate for such dangerous hurricanes to be hitting the US all in the same two month period.

The question then, is, “Does the US have to worry?” Unfortunately, that will remain unclear. The weather service urged residents not to let their guard down, and continue to watch Jose for the next few days. Computer models have shifted Jose’s potential path to the west on Thursday, the hurricane center said, and the official forecast track shifted a bit westward as well. But computer models don’t agree on the strength of the ridge, leading to some significant model differences, the hurricane center said. The hurricane center’s updated track will put more weight on the GFS/ECMWF solutions. Jose is already being felt along the U.S. Atlantic Coast. Waves churned up by the storm are affecting the Southeast U.S. coast as well as Bermuda, the Bahamas and Puerto Rico and will spread toward the Mid-Atlantic coast over the next few days. Those waves could cause rip currents and rough surf along U.S. Atlantic beaches.