Felonies Committed During the Hurricanes

Shruti Patel, Contributor

With the oncoming threat of the hurricanes, people have been concerned with saving themselves and finding adequate shelter. As they hurried to safety though, they neglected the lives of their animals, leaving them behind. These people are now under threat of receiving charges for felony.

As people were leaving, some thought that the lives of their pets were not as important, and left them locked up inside or still in their pens. The Palm Beach County Animal Control and Care officers rescued nearly 50 dogs during the days that led up to the storm. Florida authorities showed their intention to press charges against the pet owners, when the state prosecutor released a statement saying the owners would be found and persecuted. Considering the fact that there were many available shelters, all with sufficient supplies to care for these animals, the people have no excuse for abandoning their pets. The ASPCA, who was working to save these animals, received many of the pets that were left behind by the people. The ASPCA members were very disappointed, as their goal was to keep pets and owners together as a family. The ASPCA is doing their best to care for the pets,by shipping them off to safer locations, that also have the supplies necessary to care for the pets.

Another felony that occurred during the hurricanes was when a 19-month old toddler was left out alone to brave the wind and rain of the storm. As of right now, she is alive and in the hospital. Angelo Mitchell, age 36, was in charge of the girl when she was abandoned. Mitchell was previously in prison for domestic violence, and he also has had three restraining orders filed against him. During the time he was with the girl, it was suspected he was either drunk or high. The girl was eventually found 400-500 yards from her house, and after enduring a few hours of the storm, she was reunited with her mother.

A third incident that occurred during the chaos was that of a police officer, charged with the felony of selling public property and evidence. Kurt B. Tanner, age 54, had his trial on September 19th. He was charged with taking evidence for closed cases and selling them to a family member that owns a company so they could sell the evidence on eBay. The money received for selling the evidence has not been restored to the police department, and the county attorney investigator, Barry Golding, is in charge of pursuing claims and filing the case.