Kyrie Irving vs. Isaiah Thomas Trade

Cameron Bender, Contributor

On August 22, the NBA was shocked with the biggest off-season trade this year. According to ESPN, the Cleveland Cavaliers traded away their all-star point guard Kyrie Irving, to the Celtics. The Boston Celtics traded away their all-star point guard Isaiah Thomas and two other decent players. The Celtics also gave the Cavaliers a 2019 first round pick and a 2020 second round pick.

“The Cavs robbed the Celtics by giving the Cavaliers two high-round draft picks and an all-star point guard,” said BFHS student, Adam Martin. “Irving is better than Thomas overall and he comes in clutch more often than Thomas, but the Cavs got the best end of the deal on this trade.”

The only risk that the Cavs were concerned about was Thomas’ hip, which has been really bugging him and it affected his minutes in the playoffs last season. The Cavs almost backed out of the trade, but the Celtics made sure that the trade would not fall through, by adding a 2020 second round pick to add to Thomas, two other players, and a 2019 first round pick.

In my opinion, the Celtics should not have given the already stacked Cavaliers another first round pick. Draft picks are very important in building a super team, so giving the already stacked Cavaliers another first round pick was a huge mistake. The Cavaliers also got a second round pick and some second round pick players can turn into all-stars. Thomas was actually a second round pick so the Cavs did good for getting these high round draft picks.

Comparing the two young all-star point guards to each other, they both have a pretty similar game style. They know how to pass the ball and they both have really good court vision to find the open man. Both can shoot the three pointer really well and they both can also handle contact inside the paint and take it to the basket and finish it. Both can also handle the ball really well, and both have killer cross-overs. But they do have some differences.

In my opinion, Thomas is a beast and I believe he is going to be an all-star for many years to come. His problem is his height: he is 5’9″. His height is so small in the NBA when the average player is 6’7″. Thomas has to be super careful when he takes every shot because of his height disadvantage. To compete with the taller athletic players in the NBA, Thomas has worked on his speed, agility, and strength throughout his life.

On the other hand, Irving is 6’3″ and has crazy handles. He can handle the ball like a beast and has a killer cross-over and step back shot, which he often aces. Irving also comes in clutch right when his team needs a clutch shot. He has an amazing shot and is very crafty when he gets inside the paint and finishes with a layup.

The Cavaliers got the best end of this trade with them receiving Thomas, two other role players, a first round pick, and a second round pick; while the Celtics only got Kyrie Irving.