NHS and NJHS

Trina Phan, Contributor

NHS and NJHS – or formally known as National Honor Society and National Honor Society – are organizations that recognize outstanding students who have achieved success in academics and has shown great citizenship characteristics.

NHS was established in 1921 and in 1929, the organization of NJHS was formed. Located around all 50 states in the United States and many more countries are National Honor Society chapters. There are about one million students who have taken part of this membership. Students in the organization demonstrated excellent scholarship, leadership, service, citizenship, and character. This club has not only shown how the students have shown excellent character but also challenges them to develop and be more active in school activities. At Benjamin Franklin High School, the official chapter advisor for NJHS is Mrs. Kasten. For NHS the chapter advisors are Mr. Kasten and Mr. Duttlinger.

Participants of NJHS are  students who are in the seventh to ninth grade, while NHS are for high schoolers who are sophomores, juniors, and seniors. For one to be eligible to join, they have to have a 3.8 GPA for NJHS and a 3.5 GPA for NHS. There would be an application handed out to eligible participants during the first few weeks of school. Then after filling out the form which would usually be due in a week from when it was handed out, chapter advisors  go through the notable nominees. When one is accepted into the organization, there is a mandatory ceremony induction. This ceremony would include a speech from the advisors, a pledge that the students will swear to, lighting up the candles which represent the five pillars, writing your name in the official members notebook, and being rewarded a certificate for being inducted.

Joining National (Junior) Honor Society includes growing in leadership and acting on services. Not only are they participating in the club, but also the scholars dedicate their time to volunteer for the community.  For NJHS, the members have to accumulate a total of ten hours of service hours, which is five hours for each semester. On the other hand, NHS members volunteer for a total of thirty hours for the whole school year. In other words, they are to volunteer for fifteen hours each semester. Another requirement for National Honors Society members is that they must participate in one school-wide service project each semester. An example of a NHS service project was from last year when the society volunteered at the non- profit organization, Feed My Starving Children. If failing to do the mandatory service projects, the consequence results in more personal service hours.

Many benefits are included when joining N(J)HS. One of the benefits that would help after high school is that it would look great on your college transcript and college administers would pay more attention to it. Not only would it look good for your college transcript, but also you would be eligible to earn scholarships with these achievements. A current member of the National Honors Society said, “I enjoy being in this organization because I love helping others and it helps me in developing my character traits.”  A little perk of being in NHS is that if you are able to stay in the club until you graduate, you would be given a stole that is a wide golden strap that goes down to the knees.

National (Junior) Honors Society help give back to the community. This club has helped in developing students into leaders and great citizens with characteristics of a virtuous person who strive for the better. Joining the organization benefits the members in their high school career and it would even help them in their future academics. N(J)HS gives the opportunity for students to be involved in their society and it also benefits them in multiple ways.

Sources:

https://www.njhs.us/utility/about-us

https://www.nhs.us/utility/about-us