The Outlook on Conference Time

Ryan Jackson, Contributer

Is conference helpful, or pointless? We asked some of our Chargers and the answers varied from,”I like it so I can socialize with Mrs. Keaster,” to, “It’s super helpful so I can get my homework done that I wasn’t able to finish the night before due to sports.”

Conference, according to Luke Hilstead, “Is a way to get help from teachers on your homework, so you can get correct answers versus doing it on your own and not having your teacher there to answer your questions.”

Conference is a time to diligently work on your homework or to do make-up work if you ever miss any school. One of our many busy BFHS students, Jensen Matheny, who participates in soccer outside of school and is dedicated to the  JV volleyball team, stated, “It’s nice knowing that we have time during school to get all of our work done, which relieves stress!”

Students have agreed that conference is an outstanding stress reliever and they look forward to Wednesdays and Thursdays because of this special privilege the school allows us to have! Some of our newer students exclaimed that they have never done anything like it and they love it so much, not only because it’s a “social hour”, but because you can get extra help if you need. A senior that has attended Benjamin Franklin since 9th grade made it clear that, “It’s great time to get more one-on-one time with your teacher then you ever would during your class period.”

Despite all of these many advantages, there are still a few inconveniences in the mix too. Some students complained that they weren’t able to hop around to classes to get answers to questions, and others thought it wasn’t fair that there is no talking in the Student Union. One student shared they had nothing to work on, so they tried to whisper to a friend while in the Student Union which resulted in them getting into slight trouble. The main problem with talking during this quiet study time means you’re most likely going to end up disturbing those around you who are trying their hardest to complete some form of homework or other important work.

Some of the upper-classmen highly recommend using conference time wisely because they received poor grades on tests, which was a direct result of them not using their conference time effectively. Even though it’s easy to use conference to mess around, it’s always encouraged that you use that time wisely. As we know from the Charger Way, we should, “Act honorably and with integrity in all situations,” and Conference is a perfect time to do just that, while being a good role model for the younger students in the school.

Not only will you benefit from this, but others will to! It’s guaranteed that you will not regret using conference time as a way to accomplish your work!