A Peek into Staff Life

Alexis Anderson, Contributor

Countless hours are put into working here at Benjamin Franklin Junior High and High School as a bustling staff member. From frustrating technology to wet washcloths, the chaotic life of a worker is not that much different than that of a student, yet they still have time to do a job well done and enjoy it in the process.

One of the longest and hardest working teachers here at Benjamin Franklin Charter School happens to be the one and only Mrs. Keaster. Everyone who has been here since the beginning knows that Mrs. Keaster has the sweetest soul and it isn’t hard to see why. When asked about the students, all she had to say was that “teachers generally care for their kids here more than other places; these kids are just normal typical teenagers or preteens. I love the kids to be honest.” She is not the only one to have said this about the students, it was almost unanimous for staff to say that even though some of the students could be trying at times, overall they are some of the best students to have.

Anyone who has a job knows that it is not always easy to find a happy balance between social, working, and family lives. These wondrous heroes know just the place to be when they need to be there. For instance, Mrs. Diez is the perfect example of a modern day hero. She isn’t afraid to get dirty and cleans up so no one else has to. Mrs. Crystel Shupe, one of the helpful lunch ladies, could do nothing but say only good about her job, “I have the best job. There is no set schedule really, and I can deal with what comes my way as it comes, but overall I love hanging out with the kids, we get to teach life.”

” …due to our size, the students are here because they want to be and the staff is the same way,” agreed Mrs. Scott. “There is an extra investment on both sides that helps us work together [in harmony]” she stated as she smiled from ear to ear, proud to work here, at this school.

The school nurse, Mrs. McVicker, does not get to see all of the school’s students at once, she has her own office in which few people come for help. This is the cause for her statement, “Sometimes the students can be trying, overall, when students come into my office they want help so they are on good behavior. [But] yes, I feel like I have good relationships with the students and families and I’m not sure that’s the case everywhere.”

As Mrs. Diez works around the school sometimes her work seems effortless or unneeded, yet if any student were to fill in her shoes for one day they would find utter exhaustion and annoyance. Then how is it that she can accomplish above and beyond and still be one of the happiest people on earth? Some advice she could give to the student body from her years of observing is as follows, “…my number one thing, I would say, is that they can be a little bit more respectful and take responsibility for their actions [including cleaning up].”

Many students may not realize it, but every action they do is being observed, every choice they make is seen. Teachers and staff love to interact with the students, some reasoning being they have children and family that go to this school, others because they generally care and want to help. The staff here at BFHS tries to create the best learning environment and social community where everyone feels special and isn’t afraid to speak. Students, make sure that gratitude is shown to those superiors that are trying to make living in the future easier and less of a hassle for you.

Almost every staff member argued that their role as a staff member for the Benjamin Franklin Schooling’s was the best one. One common theme among the staffers was the fitting time frame of their work. They were happy that they only had to work Monday through Friday and unlike most jobs they get weeks of breaks in between many of their work days. The staff doesn’t just dedicated their love towards the kids, they were also appreciative of the other numerous staff members that help and support them.

Sometimes working with kids can be tough but these people know how to find the joy in life when it comes to working and that is something they want to teach the students as well.