Smart Watches

Adam Martin, Contributor

Many students at BFHS would agree that smart watches should be allowed in class, as one student, Seth Hamblin said, “I love having my Apple Watch at school, because I’m an athlete who likes to track my fitness progress.”

Smart watches, like the Apple watch, are able to track your exercise, how much you stand throughout the day, and how much you move all day. The ability to track your steps and movement could be very helpful to students who walk from class to class everyday. Another great ability the smart watch has is that it can time workouts and track the amount of calories you burn during the workout. You can choose from a variety of workouts, ranging from an outdoor cycle, to an indoor run on an elliptical.

In addition, some smart watches have an ability to take pictures and save them to your phone, which could be good for students who want to take a picture of a lab they are doing, or a good grade they have achieved. Smart watches are also able to tell what the weather will be for the upcoming week, which is helpful because you don’t need to take out your phone to see what the weather is, you just need a simple raise of the wrist.

Many smart watches also have the ability to set alarms and reminders, which is very helpful to students here at Ben Franklin. With the tremendous homework load we are assigned, it is easy to forget due dates or confuse them with other class deadlines. Smart watches would allow students to view upcoming due dates and events without breaking the rules by taking phones out of backpacks to view these apps.

Although smart watches have all of these great abilities that are helpful to students, there are some negatives to smart watches. A few disadvantages include the ability to cheat during tests by using pictures, going on to apps and games, and texting during class. There is an easy fix to these problems though; if the teacher doesn’t want anyone to cheat on tests then they can have their students take off the watches and put them away.

A simple way to fix the problem of texting and going on apps is for the students to turn their watches on airplane mode until the end of class. If the teacher thinks that they cannot trust their students, then they should keep a close eye on those students to make sure they aren’t doing anything wrong.

The smart watch is great in many ways, but there are legitimate reasons that teachers should be worried. In my opinion, smart watches should be allowed to be worn during school hours because they can help in so many ways, whether it be by measuring physical health or capturing a moment with a quick press of a button and lift of the wrist.