New Teachers 2017-2018

Alexis Lynn Banks, Contributor

All teachers this year are extraordinary, but the new teachers are where it’s really at! Although the teachers are new, they have gained the attention of the school, largely due to their crazy stories. The new History teachers all have fascinating tales of their life before Benjamin Franklin. One such example is that of Ms. Trimels, the undercover spy. While in D.C. over the summer, she analyzed government records regarding Hilary Clinton and has also been to the pentagon for special hearings. This took up most of her early life and more, but instead of working at it, she decided to teach it. “The material I am teaching is my favorite in the world,” she says. Ms. Trimels actually enjoys government and economy, which makes her an excellent teacher. Like Mr. Economou who also enjoys what he teaches. He started out as a 2nd grade teacher with a Masters in history. He left that job because his wife told him to do something else for a better pay. So he did 18 years of internet marketing for hotels. His career grew a lot, but towards the end it started to die down and he decided to retire. He probably wouldn’t be a teacher right now, but his daughter Scarlett inspired him to start teaching again. After two years of requesting him to teach, he finally gave in and applied. He is now a 7th grade teacher that has four traditional classed and one honors class. As a goal for himself, he wants to get everyone in honors classes and gain a liking to history just like him. Ms. McCormick has the same hope for her 8th grade student. Another history teacher who has an interesting backstory is her; Ms. McCormick loves history because her family fought in the Revolutionary War and both sides of the Civil War. She has been to England, Scotland, Spain, France, Germany, and Ireland to study abroad. For the last two years of college she came to Arizona to study at ASU, which led her to this school. She enjoys teaching here because she’s able to teach honors and traditional US history, and cheer as an assistant coach for Kasten. Not to mention, Mrs. Wright, who is the 10th grade teacher for history, and teaches AP European history, and Western Civilization II.

For math and science, there are three new teachers and two of them aren’t exactly new. Ms. Lahey is brand new to the school and teaches Geometry and Algebra 2 for the students. But Mr. Shade, the new math teachers Course 3 math, and Mr. Malgradi, the new teacher for science and coach for weights. Mr. Shade taught history, coached varsity for baseball and varsity basketball, was the JH athletic director, set up the lunch program for the school and now he’s back this year for math. He enjoys the job because he knows the staff and the kids that go here. “It’s easy when you enjoy the staff and know the kids,” he stated. Mr. Malgradi wasn’t an official teacher last year, but he subbed in for Mrs. Emory when she went on a maternity leave. He allowed her to have her little baby Luke, by coaching her JH P.E. class for almost a whole semester. He’s strict but entertaining and he gets the job done. This makes him an excellent coach for weights this year.

Mr. Maruna, who enjoys the art of story telling with his quirky attitude, teaches juniors traditional American literature and AP language and composition. Since he likes to tell stories, he told me this, “In 10-20 years, I would like to be on an island where the only was you can enter is by helicopter because it’s surrounded by mind-controlling sharks and you need my permission to enter.” He lived in Alabama in his youth, and then went to Hillsdale College in Michigan, and now he’s here in Arizona to teach us. He appreciates the staff that works here along with the great administration. This includes the one and only, Mr. Dean. He came from Hillsdale College and grew up in California. Right now he teaches English for 7th and 9th graders and likes the strong curriculum here at Ben Frank. He decided to be a teacher because of his love for English; he even wants to be a successful writer.