Traditional VS Honors Classes

Amy Jacobson, Contributor

As of 2017, Benjamin Franklin High School is now allowing its students to take traditional classes. This is a whole new idea of teaching. From the beginning of BFHS, only Honors and AP classes have been available to be taken, along with the electives of the student’s choices. Some many say that this detracts from the quality of educational, however, it has in fact influenced many more students to choose Benjamin Franklin High School as their high school.

For the returning student body of BFHS, they have a tough decision to make. In the past, they would have to take honors and AP classes. So now, when the choice of an alternative traditional class came up, they had to choose between sticking to honors, or to relegate themselves to traditional. Many students think of traditional classes as “the easy classes” but that does not mean it does not involve work. There are great advantages in both honors and traditional. In traditional, the students are assigned less homework. They also do not get homework over the weekends. This provides a welcome respite for those who have spent years of high school in a constant stress. For honors classes, they have homework on weekends and more homework than the traditional classes, but it provides a challenge for students.

Therefore, the real question is, is the student wanting a challenge, or to take the easier route? Those students may be taking them because they have other curricular activities that they do before or after school. It could allow them to have more sleep and time off, or they may have a hard time with homework. Either way, this class allows a great opportunity for students to fit more things into their lives. For the students taking honors classes, they are accepting a challenge for the school year. They could be taking the class to make their transcript look better. They may even enjoy doing homework. They may not do curricular activities, and therefore have time to do more after school. Whatever the reason, this opportunity to choose between these two types of classes is a great addition to the Benjamin Franklin High School curriculum.