Ben Franklin vs. ALA Rivalry?

Taylor VanDuyn, Contributor

Rivalry, the same competition for the same objective or for superiority on the same field, forces teams to show they deserve to be on top. The “rivalry” between Benjamin Franklin High School and American Leadership Academy has existed since they both officially became schools. Since the beginning, ALA has dominated BFHS in every football game, our football players never had a chance against them.

ALA has been a school for three years more than Franklin giving them the advantage of having 475 more students. This allows them to have more experience and skill in sports. The section of students has a larger range of skill advantages than Ben Franklin has. With these advantages, this past year they had the ability and skills to win the overall 3A state finals against Tuscon Sabino with the ending score of 31-14. Having a huge win like this on their shoulders intimidates all of their opponents especially Benjamin Franklin because they are considered “rivals”.

In this last year, while ALA continued on to win the state finals, Franklin ended their football season with seven wins and three losses. Benjamin Franklin offensive line needs to get their blocks and their defense needs to fly to the ball. According to Chase Adams, “Benjamin Franklin is mediocre at best”. Franklin players are hard workers and give it their all on the field. They are always pushing for improvement every practice and game. Each year they come back ready to work hard and fight through games and practices by putting their best foot forward.

Franklin and ALA’s rivalry is an unfair match because the skill sets are hard to compare and ALA has a bigger selection of students. Every rivalry game Franklin has been unable to defeat these champs. The most Franklin has ever scored on them has been 27 over all points but, ALA scored 73 points that same game.

Beside the tough losses in football, Franklin’s boys and girls volleyball defeated ALA. The boys team completely crushed them all three times they went up against them. The girls volleyball team also fought against them and took all three wins. Although, the girls have to put up a tougher fight than the boys did, they earned their win.

The expectations for all the seasons this year are very high. The football teams exceptions are to win more games than they did last year and to come out strong and make it to playoffs.

Girls volleyball is expecting to make it to make it to playoffs again for the second year, but they are expecting to take first place champs.