Band and Orchestra Concerts

Sierra Seay, Contributer

Tuesday night, March 8, 2022, BFHS’s band held their quarter 3 spring concert to show off all their hard work throughout the quarter. The concert was jazz-themed, titled “Jump, Jive, and Jazz”, ran by band boosters and BFHS’s band teacher Mr. Mendoza. All four bands got to perform, including Beginning Band, Concert Band, Symphonic Band, and Wind Ensemble. First to perform was the Beginning Band, mostly junior high students, who performed the songs “Raine Dance” by Dean Sorenson, “Twist and Shout” by Gerald Sebesky, and “Jump Start” by Steve Hodges. Next up was the Concert Band who performed “Southern Hymn Setting” by John Edmondson, “Bluesville” by Eric Osterling, and “Stand Up and Swing” by John O’Reilly. Then, Symphonic Band came onstage and performed “Instant Swing Concert” by Eric Osterling, “Jump Jive and Wail” by Louis Prima and Johnnie Vinson, “Chameleon” by Victor Lopez, and “Abracadabra” by Larry Barton. Last to perform was Wind Ensemble who performed “Our America” by John Higgins, “Shenandoah” by Frank Ticheli, “Flourish for Winds” by Gary Fagan, and “Benny Goodman King of Swing” by Victor Lopez. Halfway through the Wind Ensemble’s performance, Mr. Mendoza took some time to recognize the Wind Ensemble members who qualified for regionals, namely, Adam Smith on clarinet, Elizabeth George on clarinet also, Cannon Hakes on trumpet, and Taylor Cohill on bassoon. Band booster member Mrs. Pospisil also came up to announce some exciting events coming up for the band program, namely the Wind Ensemble trip to Washington DC and the Spring Swing in April. As for now, BFHS’s bands will begin to prepare for their last concert of the school year in May.

The following night, Wednesday March 9th, BFHS’s orchestras had their third quarter concert as well, titled “Synergy”, ran by Mrs. Petty. First was the Beginning Band who performed “Joust” by Richard Meyer, “Little Symphony” by Carold Nunez, and “Hey Fiddle Hey Fiddle” by Brian Balmages. Then the Concert Orchestra and Beginning Orchestra combined to perform “Burst” by Brian Balmages. Then the Concert Orchestra performed “Gargoyles” by Doug Spata, “Mariachi” by John O’Neill, and “Finale from Symphony No. 5” by Ludwig van Beethoven and Richard Meyer. Next was the Symphonic Orchestra performing “Libertango” by Astor Piazzolla and James Kazik, “New Moon” by Alexandre Despla and Robert Longfield, and “Synergy” by Deborah Baker Monday. Then Symphonic Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra combined for the performance of “Cakewalk from Suite for Strings” by Norman Leyden. Lastly, Chamber Orchestra performed “Little Suite for Strings Op. 1” by Carl Nielsen, “Rhosymedre” by Ralph Vaughan Williams, and “The Lost Relic” by Chris Pilsner. While also to show the orchestra’s improvement over the quarter, this concert also recognized the orchestra’s accomplishments. Four students participated in Solo and Ensemble and earned excellent and superior ratings and fourteen students auditioned for regionals and five qualified: Craig Dawson and Ryan Stover on cello along with Katie Lee, Vance McMillen, and Kaitlyn Sperry on violin. Thirty-three students also got to participate in the Eastern Arizona College 2022 Honor Orchestra Festival. The Chamber Orchestra will also go on the Washington DC trip with the Wind Ensemble. BFHS’s orchestras will continue to practice for their final concert in May.