Baseball Commitments

Dante Turgeon, Contributor

BFHS Baseball Commits

Dante Turgeon

Over the nine year span of Benjamin Franklin High School baseball there have only been five players who have had the opportunity to play at the collegiate level. All of these players have played under the new coaching staff of Todd Cook, Jeff Gray, and Casey Turgeon. The new staff’s first season in 2019 ended with a winning record of 14-11. For there to be five college commits within the first four years of the new coaching staff shows how much the coaches have to offer for the players. Now with the addition of these committed players, Benjamin Franklin baseball is getting the recognition it deserves.

• Tyler Foster- Midland University (NAIA)
  • Josh Resh- Lincoln College (NAIA)
  • Manuel Lopez- Benedictine University (NAIA)
  • Dante Turgeon- Arizona State University (D1)
  • Jalen Kupitz- Scottsdale Community College (JUCO)

Tyler Foster was a senior during the 2019 season, in fact, he was the only senior during the 2019 season. He played shortstop and batted lead off for the Chargers. During his senior year he received and accepted an offer to play at Midland University, a NAIA university in Omaha, Nebraska. 

Josh Resh was a graduating class of 2020 pitcher. He pitched during his junior year and became the Chargers ace for the season. Unfortunately, his senior year was cut short due to the sudden occurrence of Covid-19. Luckily, Josh was still able to receive an offer to play at Lincoln College in Lincoln, Illinois. He is now a collegiate pitcher in the NAIA division.

Manny Lopez is a senior catcher this year at Ben Franklin. He transferred from public school in curiosity of seeing what 3A baseball was all about, and he found exactly what he was looking for. Manny became a starter during his first year at Franklin and pretty soon received an offer to play college baseball at Benedictine University. He will be attending this NAIA university next fall on a baseball scholarship.

Dante Turgeon, also a senior, received and accepted an offer to play at Arizona State University. He holds multiple school records, including eight home runs during one season. Dante has been with Ben Franklin and the new coaching staff since freshman year. He is the shortstop for the Chargers and poses a major power threat against opposing pitchers. He plans on carrying his success at the Division 1 level.

Jalen Kupitz is also a senior, he plays outfield and is a powerful hitter from the left side. He transferred from public school in Minnesota in order to play baseball all year round in Arizona. He found just that and more at Ben Franklin. After just one season at BFHS he received and accepted an offer to play JUCO baseball at Scottsdale Community College.

This is just the beginning of what Benjamin Franklin baseball has to offer. Over a four year period there have been three NAIA commits, a Junior College commit, and a Division 1 commit. Within the next four years BFHS baseball plans to continue to develop their players and provide colleges with even more top athletes.