Chandler Prep New Years Classic – Varsity Girls Basketball

Selas Rivers, Contributor

While Benjamin Franklin students were out on Winter break, their Charger girls Basketball team was out grinding in the Chandler Prep New Years Classic against several other schools in the area. The tournament took place from January 2nd to the 4th (a Thursday to a Saturday), hosted by Higley High School. Katrina, Michelle, Katelin, Autumn, Madi, Coach Jackson, Jayden (girl holding the award), Jaislyn, Kaidyn, Mikelle, Coach Rene, Dannica, Kirsten, Audrey, Amber, and Jasmine played and supported in this tournament. The girls put their weekend, their break, their time, and amazing effort towards this tournament. As a part of the Charger’s basketball team, one could see how much dedication these girls put into coming out with a “W”. The girls were placed in the Bronze bracket and came out in second place. They fought hard and did an amazing job despite the minimum support. At the conclusion of the game on Saturday, individual awards were given to Madi Schiermeyer and Katrina Tsai for being the best players on the team. Those two really deserved those awards, out of the whole Varsity team; Katrina Tsai is the brains of the team and Madi Schiermeyer is the brawns of the team. From practice to actual games, their leadership was seen and carried out throughout the preceding season to come.

The girls basketball’s next game is an away game out in Florence against Florence High School. The girls haven’t had a lot of support in their games from their own school in a while. It really discourages them to not have any support from the school they’re playing for. All they have for support is their coaches, teammates, family, and sometimes students. What would really help the girls, would be better support from their fellow chargers and friends. Even if they may not be as good as the WNBA, they need support in order to strive to be better players, both on and off the court.