Woman Killed In Explosion At Gender Reveal Party


Ian Dahl, Contributor

A couple’s gender reveal party took a sudden turn for the worse after they accidentally create an explosion, resulting in the death of a woman in Iowa. The Kreimeyer family decided to host a gender reveal party for an expectant mother in the family, what could’ve went wrong?

The party took place in Knoxville, Iowa and many guests had arrived to take part in the celebration. Over the years, gender reveal parties have gotten more and more elaborate in how they announce baby’s gender, some involving pops of confetti, different colored smokes, and even colored explosion effects. The Kreimeyer family attempted to create a machine that would launch different colored powder, such as pink or blue, into the air using gunpowder to announce the gender of the baby during the party.

The Marion County Sheriff’s Office released a statement describing details of the party and the device that was created. The office states, “Our investigation showed that members of the Kreimeyer family were experimenting with different types of explosive material on Friday and Saturday in an attempt to record a gender reveal that could be posted on social media for friends and family.” The sheriff’s office also revealed how the machine the family was attempting to create became so dangerous. “A hole had been drilled in the side for a fuse, a piece of wood was placed on top of the gunpowder and colored powder was placed on top of the board,” the statement said. “Tape was then wrapped over the top of the metal tubing, inadvertently creating a pipe bomb. Instead of the gunpowder shooting the powder out the top of the stand, the stand exploded sending metal pieces flying.” The machine was wrapped in tape, making it into a makeshift bomb, causing metal shrapnel from the device to fly everywhere at high speeds.

The machine’s fuse was lit around 4 P.M on a Saturday. One of the metal shrapnel pieces from the homemade machine was flung into Ms. Kreimeyer’s head. Ms. Kreimeyer was 56 years old and from Iowa, she was with five other family members at the party. According to the statement from the sheriff’s office, “She was standing with other family members about 45 feet from the device. The projectile that struck her continued 144 yards farther through the air and landed in a field”. The blow to the head from the piece of metal resulted in an “instant death”.

This disaster should be taken as a reminder to stay safe and take extra precautions when working with dangerous or explosive substances, such as gunpowder. “This family got together for what they thought was going to be a happy event with no intent for anyone to get hurt,” Sheriff Jason Sandholdt said in the statement. “This is a reminder that any time someone mixes these things there is a high potential for serious injury or death. Please do not take these unnecessary risks.” Parties are a time for fun but unnecessary risks should not be taken in order to keep everyone safe.