More Sleep, Please!

Back to Article
Back to Article

More Sleep, Please!

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Selas Rivers, Contributor

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Humans live on sleep. In a person’s lifetime, for a person who gets about 8 hours of sleep a day, they will sleep about 230,000 hours in their lifetime. This average amount of sleep equating to about one-third of a person’s life, (Source 1). Sleep is essential to maintain a healthy life. The average student spends about 6 hours per day in school. The time that a student should spend sleeping should equal, or be more than, the time a student spends at school each day. Sadly, “most teens do not get enough sleep — one study found that only 15% reported sleeping 8 1/2 hours on school nights,” (Source 2) meaning that the other 85% of teens don’t get the right amount of sleep on a school night. The consequences for the teens are the limitations of  their “ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems… even forget important information like names, numbers… homework…” (Source 2) which leads to their inability to do well in school. One article stated; “If teens need 8 to 10 hours of sleep to do their best and naturally go to sleep around 11:00 pm, one way to get more sleep is to start school later,” (Source 2). Not only does the student benefit, but the school also benefits from “Enrollment and attendance improves and students are more likely to be on time when school starts. Parents and teachers report that teens are more alert in the morning and in better moods; they are less likely to feel depressed or need to visit the nurse or school counselor,” (Source 2). “Following the later start time, students were also more alert and engaged in class, absences and tardiness decreased, and final grades increased by 4.5 percent,” (Source 3) benefitting both the school and the students. With the increase of sleep would come an increase in the development of the students and the ability to become a better person. With the increase in better people in the world, maybe the world would become somewhat of a better place. Without sleep, a teenager would not be able to continue to succeed…

As a teenager, the average amount of sleep I get is less than the recommended 8 and a half hours of sleep. I feel that I spend more time at school than at home sleeping. I spend about 8 hours of my life in school, about 5 hours spent at home on homework, and various amount of time spent with stuff outside of school. If school were to start later in the day, it would be less stressful for me, my parents, and partially my teachers. More sleep, please.

Sources:

https://www.tempo.io/blog/7-time-consuming-things-an-average-joe-spends-in-a-lifetime

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/teens-and-sleep

neatoday.org/2019/02/27/what-happens-when-schools-start-later/

Print Friendly, PDF & Email