Football Coach Disarms Student

Back to Article
Back to Article

Football Coach Disarms Student

Madeline Farnsworth, Contributor

In Oregon, May 17, a high school student walked into his school with a shotgun with the intention to end his life and many other students lives. The shooter was identified as 18 year old Angel Granados-Diaz. Granados-Diaz walked into a classroom shortly after Coach Keanon Lowe. Lowe said it was “a pretty crazy situation. In a fraction of a second, I analyzed everything really fast. I saw the look in his face, look in his eyes, looked at the gun; realized it was a real gun and then my instincts just took over.” Reporters said that Lowe had tackled Granados-Diaz. However, the video surveillance that was release on Friday, October 18,  showed Lowe disarming Granados-Diaz and then embracing him in a hug.

Shootings are tragic and cause emotional and physical pain for those who are involved. Lowe did what everyone fails to do. He saw a hurting, lost student that was making a mistake that could have ended his life. Instead of using force and harm, Lowe used compassion and cared for Granados-Diaz. Many shootings that have happen have been because of an individual struggling with mental illnesses. Maybe if we all do what Lowe did, then the rate of shootings will decrease. Instead of being harsh and cold, Lowe helped Granados-Diaz by making the situation safe and comforting him. So many of us judge those who intend to harm others. But in reality, we do not know their story and what drove them to their breaking point. When reporters asked Lowe about what had happened, Lowe said, “I felt compassion for him. A lot of times, especially when you’re young, you don’t realize what you’re doing until it’s over.”  When people have a break, they do things that they normally would never do. If our country talked more about mental health and if it was acceptable for people to speak up about their mental health issues and not be told to keep quiet, then there would be a drop in the rate of violence and there would be a feeling of acceptance. The world would be a better place if we had more people like Lowe to share love and help those who are being overlooked and avoided. This immense act of love showed the world that it is possible to love someone whose intentions are the worse and to show them compassion and not the same harshness that they showed you.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2019/10/20/keanon-lowe-oregon-coach-gun-shooter-video-angel-granados-diaz/4044481002/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/19/us/portland-coach-hugging-armed-student/index.html