The New Epcot of Disney

Lexi Ariete, Contributor

Disney’s park, Epcot, opened on October 1, 1982. The acronym stands for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Walt Disney’s idea of Epcot was to make the idea of “future” come to life. After thirty-seven years, the park will be experiencing major changes. Not only are there new additions to Epcot, but there will also be a new hotel with amazing features. Over the years, fans have been wanting new attractions for Epcot. Changes to the park are coming in 2025 during the 50th anniversary of Disney World.

D23 is the official fan club for Disney. Officials that attended announced new attractions, resorts, and other plans for the Disney parks. They plan for the changes to happen in the year 2025 for Epcot’s 50th anniversary.

Spaceship Earth has been the icon of Epcot and will remain the same after the revamp. Although, there will be some changes to the ride itself. In Spaceship Earth, riders go through time, experiencing advancements of humans. In the new update, the ride will focus on “the power of storytelling.” It will narrate the human experience but will keep some scenes from Spaceship Earth.

Officials from Disney stated that there will be a Star Wars-themed hotel coming to Walt Disney World. They said that every room will have a digital screen that “looks out into the cosmos.” The new park features attractions for the movies, Moana and Mary Poppins.  The name Moana attraction is, “Journey of Water.” The Mary Poppins attraction is currently unknown. The France pavilion will have a long-awaited, Ratatouille ride. They will also add in a Beauty and the Beast sing-along.

The new revamp will have new sections. World Discovery, World Celebration, World Nature, and the largest section being, World Showcase. In the World Discovery, the theme is, “science, technology, and intergalactic adventure.” This is the location of the ride, Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout. World Celebration is where people come together to celebrate and have fun together. World Nature will be the home of Journey of Water. Journey of Water will be replacing the ride called World of Water. Although the names are similar, Journey of Water will be a whole new attraction. World Showcase will hold the new Mary Poppins attraction. Marvel is not only coming to Disney World, but also to California Adventure. There will be a new interactive Spider-Man ride. The Avengers’ location is Avengers Campus.  In World Showcase, Disney will be having two new nighttime spectaculars.

The new Disney product, Disney Genie, will be available to use when looking for meet and greets, rides, and restaurants. It makes instant reservations and saves fast passes for the guests. Cirque du Soleil, a Canadian performance company, is coming to Epcot. With Florida being one of the hottest US states, the weather can get in the hundreds. Because of this, Disney will be more shade throughout the Epcot park.

Fans from all around the world will experience something new in Disney Parks. All Disney parks are having things added, and others renewed. The 50th anniversary will be one to remember.

Sources:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/disney-star-wars-epcot-d23/index.html

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/25/20832163/epcot-changes-disney-mary-poppins-cherry-land-space-220-guardians-coaster-d23

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/the-best-things-to-come-out-of-the-d23-expo