Charger Baseball 2019 Recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

Charger Baseball 2019 Recap

Joshua Case, Contributor

The final chapter has finally come to a close for the Benjamin Franklin Baseball 2019 team after an eventful year of games. The team started out on a shaky foundation, losing their pre-season scrimmage to Gilbert Christian after a series of consecutive errors in one inning. This trend kept up in the first few games with Odyssey Institute, which was a loss for the Chargers, and in the tournament the team used to get better prepared for the season, in which they won only one out of the four games played. The team started on the long road back up to getting playoff eligible by winning their next two games against Chandler Prep and Horizon Honors, but then took two consecutive losses against two of the best teams in 3A.

The Chargers, now playing some of their best baseball games, were in mid-season form and put up a challenge to any of the teams they played, whether it was a win or loss. The Chargers beat ASU Prep in their next game, but then lost to their region rivals ALA Queen Creek in a well fought game. After this loss, the Chargers notched three straight wins against teams in their region, Florence, Coolidge, and ALA Ironwood. The Chargers carried this momentum into a tournament they played, winning three out of the four games.

The tournament would prove beneficial to the Chargers as the season progressed to the end, fine tuning some areas they wanted to work on, but this was not shown in a blowout loss to ALA Queen Creek the first game after the tournament. The Chargers then went on a four game win streak, playing teams such as Florence, Coolidge, San Tan Foothills, and ALA Ironwood. However, on the last game of the regular season the Chargers fell to San Tan Foothills. This loss did not deter the Chargers hopes of the postseason, as they were able to secure a spot.

The Chargers were matched up in the game against Gilbert Christian, and the game would take place at McQueen Park. After a hard-fought extra inning game, the Chargers once again fell to Gilbert Christian, knocking them out of the playoffs and ending their season.

The Chargers had a lone senior this year, Tyler Foster, who will be missed by his team and coaches in their future endeavors with high school baseball.

http://www.azpreps365.com/teams/baseball/4347-ben-frank/116853-varsity