A Month of Block Schedules at BFHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Month of Block Schedules at BFHS

Cade McAfee, writer

It is that time of the year again with summer right down the stretch, but there is just one thing in the way: state testing. The teachers and students have been dreading this because of the switch to block schedule every day for a month. Testing will be on computers this year and the school has to stagger testing due to the deficit of computers compared to number of students. However, this switch is not as bad as most thought it would be.

Students have the same amount of class periods for every class, they are just staggered differently throughout the four week schedule of April. Zero and seventh hour are still the same, but students go to their first class of the day, whether that is their first or second hour class. That class ends at 9:10 and then it is opening ceremony until about 9:25. Conference for the junior high students releases at 9:45 and the high school students get out at the normal 9:55. All of the lunches are combined so the junior highers eat outside in the bleachers and in the grass and the high schoolers eat in the student union, cafeteria, courtyard, and in the grass. Lunch is dismissed at 10:30 and students go to their second class of the day. That class goes until 12:25 and then the students go to their last class of the day. The school day still ends at 2:20 and seventh hour should start on time.

This schedule is amazing because we get to eat lunch, or rather brunch, right after breakfast. At 10 am in the morning, after only going to one class, students eat lunch and then get to go to two more block class periods. Another benefit of this schedule is teachers getting to assign twice the amount of homework because they see their students less often. These weeks seems to fly by because students sit in chairs for 3 grueling block classes every day. Another fun aspect of this schedule is how confusing it is and it keeps the students on their toes, never knowing what class they will have that day or when they will be testing. It would be so much more difficult to just do these tests in one week on paper and be done with them. Thank goodness we do not have to test like that anymore.