Drug Kingpin El Chapo Convicted

Back to Article
Back to Article

Drug Kingpin El Chapo Convicted

El Chapo being arrested

El Chapo being arrested

ABC7 NY

El Chapo being arrested

ABC7 NY

ABC7 NY

El Chapo being arrested

Jacob Pieczynski, Contributor

Mexican drug kingpin “El Chapo” was found guilty of ten accusations in criminal court in New York. El Chapo, whose real name is Joaquin Guzmán, was arrested back in January of 2016 after escaping from prison five months earlier. Guzmán was behind the incredibly powerful Sinaloa drug cartel, which prosecutors say was at one point the largest supplier of drugs to the United States.

El Chapo, or “shorty” in English, was once one of the world’s richest men. He ran the northern Mexico drug cartel which shipped hundreds of tons of drugs into the United States. He became one of the biggest traffickers of drugs to the United States. In 2009, he entered the Forbes’ list of world’s richest men with an estimated net worth of $1 billion, however, it is estimated he has earned more than $14 billion over the course of his career. He helped export hundreds of tons of cocaine into the United States and was accused of helping to manufacture and distribute heroin, methamphetamine, and marijuana.

Guzmán ordered many killings. He employed hit-men to kill, assault, kidnap, and torture hundreds of people, most frequently rivals in another cartel. He also drugged and raped girls as young as thirteen and had many mistresses outside of his wife. He bribed former Mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto with $100 million and then asked for $250 million in return for ending a manhunt for the president. Witnesses said they saw him murder at least three people in person. One of his former bodyguards testified to seeing him torture then shoot two people, and once dead, order their bodies thrown into a fire. He even ordered the killing of his own cousin. 

In Mexico, he escaped from prison twice, once in 2001 and the most recent in 2015 when he escaped from the maximum security Altiplano Prison through a tunnel and with a modified motorbike. The three month long trial in New York exposed the inner workings of the Sinaloa drug cartel. For the prosecution, there were 56 different witnesses with 14 having once worked for the drug kingpin. El Chapo, 61, is facing life in prison.

The trial was outfitted with intense security. There were bomb-sniffing dogs, police snipers, and federal marshals with radiation sensors. It was the first time an American jury had heard details about, “the financing, logistics, and bloody history of one of the drug cartels that have long pumped huge amounts of heroin, cocaine, marijuana, and synthetic drugs like fentanyl into the United States, earning traffickers billions of dollars” said the New York Times. The actor that plays El Chapo in the hit TV show Narcos attended the trial to study his character. Even though the prosecution of El Chapo is a major blow to the cartel, it is still being led in part by the kingpin’s two sons and is just as dangerous as it was with El Chapo at the reigns. The entire defense case lasted only thirty minutes, compared with ten weeks for the prosecution, as they only used one witness.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47218887 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/12/nyregion/el-chapo-verdict.html

Jacob Pieczynski, Contributor

Hello! I am a fourteen year old freshman here at BFHS. I like to work out, play baseball, read, code, and hang out with my family and friends. I am stoked...