Expectations and Outcome of Nintendo Direct.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wyatt Clark and Andres Nichols

February 12th, 2019

Nintendo Gamers were blessed by the notification that a Nintendo Direct is coming on February 13, 2019 at 2pm PST. Their twitter had posted, “Tune in 2/13 at 2pm PT for a Nintendo Direct featuring about 35 minutes of information about upcoming #NintendoSwitch titles. Including new details on #FireEmblem Three Houses.” With Nintendo Direct expected to arrive tomorrow on February 13th, there is a list of expectations that people can expect Nintendo to mention. First, the elephant in the room, Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Announced at E3 2018 last year, Three Houses, set to release in spring, has been one of Nintendo’s most hyped games for the coming year. This will mark the first Fire Emblem game to be released on a home console in over ten years. Next, Animal Crossing will have some sort of appearance during the direct. There is not much info that will help give clues as to what this game will include, but hopefully it does not get the Animal Crossing fans upset.  It is safe to say that Metroid Prime 4 will not have any an appearance in Nintendo Direct, since Nintend0 revealed in an earlier statement that they had to scrap the entire game and start from scratch. Some other games that can be expected are Luigi’s Mansion 3 and a Pikmin 3 port to the  Nintendo Switch. By adding a port of Pikmin 3, Fans will be able to prepare for the long awaited Pikmin 4. Another game that is on many people’s highly anticipated list is a new 2D Legend of Zelda game, linking it back to it’s original design. Fans of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate are expecting to get some more information about other DLC fighters and Joker who was already announced.  There have also been many rumors that a sequel or a port of Mario Maker will make it’s way to the Nintendo Switch. It is also very probable that other previously announced games, such as Daemon x Machina and the scheduled 2019 Pokemon, will get more info about their respective games during the direct.

February 14th, 2019

Now that the Nintendo Direct has come to pass, many expectations were met, however, some were not. There were a few unexpected titles announced for the Nintendo Switch. First, it was revealed that Mario Maker 2 is coming to the Nintendo Switch sometime in June. Unfortunately the 2D Zelda game was delivered, but rather it was a 2.5D remake of Link’s Awakening. A new Box Boy game was announce for the switch with a new co-op feature. Fire Emblem: Three House, as already confirmed, had a lengthy presentation and the announcement that the game was slightly delayed to a summer release rather than its original spring release. The demo for Daemon x Machina was released to the masses, with a  release date scheduled for sometime this summer. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate got a short appearance, quickly talking about a  mysterious 3.0 update that will be available by the end of April. This update will feature Joker, a previously announced DLC fighter, and something they left little information on, but will supposedly be very large and important. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order got more information about the game. Assassin’s Creed III remastered got ported to the Nintendo Switch and will be released on May 21. Final Fantasy VII and IX both got release dates of March 26 and February 13 respectively. Tetris 99 is a battle royale but Tetris is already available on Nintendo Switch. Mortal Kombat 11 was announced to be released on Nintendo Switch, April 23. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition has made its way to the west and will be available later this fall. Deltarune was made its way to Nintendo Switch and will be available for free on February 28.

There were  still many other games announced. Even though fans of a particular series may be a bit disappointed, there are still many games to enjoy and have fun with until the game gets released.

Sources:

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/nintendo-direct-february-2019-all-nintendo-switch-games-announced-at-the-event-1993474

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/12/18221697/nintendo-direct-switch-feb-13

https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/a26304543/nintendo-direct-switch-announcements-how-to-watch-february-2019/

Andres Nichols, Contributor

I am a Freshman and that is all you need to know.