Enter Title Here 1

Rachel Jarvis, Contributor

“You’re late,” I heard as I walked to the door of the detention room. “Sorry it’s my first day, I had trouble finding my locker,” I replied rolling my eyes at the fact that he wasn’t even paying attention about who walked in.”It’s numbered how did you get lost?,” the teacher replied. “I don’t know probably because there is a weird room just for about five lockers and no one bothered to tell me. Plus no one bothered to tell me where anything is, or even direct me to a map,” I replied. I knew he heard the note in my voice that clearly meant I was annoyed. He clearly thought it was funny because he started laughing. “Welcome to the club, wait what was your name again?” he asked and being irritated with everything, I snapped, “Not that you asked in the first place, Lola,” He told me to go take any seat I wanted to so naturally I found a back corner separated from people. I started pulling things out of my bag that the front office gave me so I would be able to learn at the same pace as the other students. All of a sudden a boy about my age came and sat right next to me. “Out of all the places in the world, all of the space and unexplored areas, you chose to sit as close to me as possible,” I said without thinking about it. He looked up at me. “Oh sorry. I just wanted to talk to you I figured sitting next to you would strike a conversation,” The look in his eyes said that his theory was proving to be correct. “Out of all the people in here you decided the one separated from people would be the chattiest one?” I asked sarcastically. “No,” he replied, “You looked like the one with the most interesting stories.” He had a certain smirk on his face like he thought I would open up and pour all of my deep dark secrets onto him. I smiled and in my best passive-aggressive customer service voice, I said, “No, I do not have anything interesting about me, other than I just moved here with my dad, now please if you have any questions, comments, or concerns feel free to drop them off in the complaint box.” I turned around to work on my assignments but he kept asking questions to which I kept replying “Leave it in the complaint box,” Finally I couldn’t take it anymore, I looked him dead in the eyes and said, “I am a closed book and I do not feel like talking to you especially when I already clearly said to leave me alone, I am busy doing something that does not involve talking to you so please, leave me alone.” He seemed hurt by my words but I didn’t care at this point. He got up and moved to the seat in front of me. Great, well, not a big victory but a victory nonetheless. I was so into focusing on my homework I didn’t notice the girl who was staring at me. When I finally looked up at her she laughed, “Want to hang out after school? I saw you tell Jerry off, he likes to lurk around the new girls.” I started to tell her that I was grounded for who knows how long. She looked disappointed but she just slid her phone number to me. “Call me when you’re ungrounded,” she said as she was walking away. A weird school with weird people.

The bell rang and I walked outside. I wasn’t shocked to see my dad already there. I got in the back of the car instead of the front so I didn’t have to look at him. “So how was school,” he started. “Oh look, we are now on speaking terms,” I shot back. The jab seemed to go totally over his head, “Well, of course, you are my favorite, and only, daughter why wouldn’t I be talking to you?” I sat in a cloud of anger until we got home. I walked as fast up the stairs as I could and as soon as I got to the top I almost passed out. I am just sick still that’s why. I then stormed into my room. The door slammed behind me. As soon as my dad entered the threshold he seemed to immediately turn back to his old mood. He started yelling at me for slamming the door. I kept telling him I didn’t do it. He stormed out of the house. I cried myself to sleep.