Grammy Nominated Rapper 21 Savage Facing Deportation

21+Savage
Back to Article
Back to Article

21 Savage

21 Savage

Fox News

21 Savage

Fox News

Fox News

21 Savage

Jacob Pieczynski, Contributor

Famous rapper, 21 Savage, was arrested by the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) on Sunday, February 3 on charges related to overstaying his visa. The British national rapper is known for songs such as “Bank Account”, “monster”, and “a lot”. He was set to perform at the Grammy Awards on February 10 with rapper Post Malone. He was also nominated for two Grammys.

21 Savage, whose real name is She’yaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, was born in the U.K. and came to the U.S. with his family as a child in July of 2005. He has long said that where he grew up, an Atlanta suburb called Decatur, where he is deemed as a hometown hero. In the month of July in 2006, when his visa expired, he was deemed as an illegal immigrant. Abraham-Joseph had been convicted of several felony drug charges in 2014, but ICE says they were unaware of his immigration status at the time.

Abraham-Joseph’s lawyer, Charles Kuck, argues that 21 Savage never hid his immigration status from the federal government. He had applied for a U Visa, a government program for immigrants who claim that they have suffered crimes in the U.S. but helped out law enforcement. He applied for this in 2017. Kuck is calling the arrest a civil rights violation.

Abraham Joseph was in Atlanta on February 3 when he was arrested by ICE. They called it a “targeted operation.” He was pulled over while driving with a few friends on Sunday. Another rapper was arrested by law enforcement with 21 Savage and is accused of aggravated assault with a gun and drug activity. Two others in the vehicle were also arrested, but their names were not released.

If 21 Savage is deported, he would not be allowed back in the U.S. for up to 10 years, ruining his music career in the United States. If deported, odds are his career will take a fall that he may not ever recover from. The rapper was going to sing at the Grammy Awards with Post Malone. Both have had breakout careers and are incredibly popular with people. The rapper takes the name 21 because of a pivotal incident that turned him to rap on his 21st birthday, that ended with several gunshot wounds and the death of his best friend.

He released his first album the following year, 2014, and rapidly progressed from there. He released a pair of mixtapes in 2015 and in 2016 was constantly in the Billboard charts. He collaborated with many artists such as Drake and Future. After releasing “Savage Mode” in 2017, Savage released his first proper full-length album. It was called the Issa Album and was the source of his platinum single “Bank Account.” He then was a featured artist on the song “Rockstar” by Post Malone and “Bartier Cardi” by Cardi B. He contributed to the soundtracks of the movies Uncle Drew and Superfly. At the end of 2018 he dropped his second album, I am > I was.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/zma483/what-we-know-about-the-bizarre-immigration-case-surrounding-the-rapper-21-savage

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/21-savage-mn0003515232/biography

Jacob Pieczynski, Contributor

Hello! I am a fourteen year old freshman here at BFHS. I like to work out, play baseball, read, code, and hang out with my family and friends. I am stoked...