Charger’s Playoff Push

Garrison Meeks, Contributor

The Benjamin Franklin Charger basketball team has been given so many opportunities to make it into the 3A Arizona state playoffs, and they finally made it in. Entering the 3A Central Region tournament, the Benjamin Franklin Chargers were playing for their playoff lives. A loss against number five-seeded ALA Ironwood would end their season, and their hope for the playoff spot. The Chargers came out a bit clumsy and tired, but still pulled off a 58-34 win against the warriors. Next round the Chargers faced the top-ranked Gophers of Florence High School. The Chargers were ready for the challenge and came into the games as underdogs. A college scout tweeted, “They will need some help/luck.” He was talking about how the Chargers basically needed a miracle to knock off the number one seed. The Chargers battled the whole game and came out with the 61-58 win. Their lock down defense and five out offense helped them overcome the Gophers. The win was very special for Benjamin Franklin because of the seven seniors on the team, and it was the first time in school history that the basketball team has made a playoff bid. The Chargers next game is Friday February 8, 2019, at Florence and it is the 3A Central region championship.

Hopefully the Chargers can win the region and make a deep run into the playoffs. Go Chargers!