Peacock Saves a Burning Sanctuary

Back to Article
Back to Article

Peacock Saves a Burning Sanctuary

Avery Ward, Contributor

A screeching peacock woke up Jim Bronzo on Monday, February 4, in the early morning to a fire that destroyed his home and 41 animals at the Second Chance Wildlife Sanctuary in Orlando, Florida. The Orlando firefighters and first responders arrived around 1:30 a.m. as flames engulfed Bronzo’s two-story house on Baron Road, a two and a half acre muddy lot around 19 miles east of downtown Orlando. Bronzo takes care of 350 animals in total, including bearded dragons, snakes, llamas, goats, dogs, and other orphaned animals. Many animals were lost in the fire, but was they were fortunately found eight hours later with little to no injuries.

About a week ago, Bronzo came to an Orange County Commission meeting to complain about his neighbor who shoots guns excessively. Bronzo believes that the noise of the gunshots are making the llamas spook, causing them to jump the fence and run around on the streets. Then, on Monday, the neighbor said that the firefighters could fight the fire from his property. “We feel terrible,” said the Brian Ramphal, Bronzo’s neighbor. Ramphal’s wife, Sherry Saran, who called 911 said that they were awakened by their own barking dogs. “We just heard the explosion next door,” she told a dispatcher in a recorded call. “Hurry up. I think it’s going to be really bad. … Hurry, hurry!” (MSN). The firefighters and other first responders were worried that the heavy fire engines might sink and get stuck in the sanctuary’s muddy land, so they agreed to go set up on Ramphal’s property.

The fire devoured the home before the flames were extinguished. The Florida Bureau of Fire and Arson Investigations was trying to detect where and how the fire began. Jennifer Foster, a friend of Bronzo, was among dozens of animal-rescue volunteers who showed up at the wildlife refuge shortly after sunrise to offer help. “He’s got a lot of friends, he’ll be OK. But he’s going to need a lot of help,” said Foster, holding a carrier with a now-homeless guinea pig (MSN). Other of Bronzo’s friends made a GoFundMe page on Monday for the reconstruction of the sanctuary, setting the goal at $200,000. It read: “Jim Bronzo has dedicated his life to saving animals. All animals, including those no one else will take … llamas, peacocks, pigs and so many more. Early this morning it was those very peacocks Jim saved that saved him … He is blessed to have gotten out alive while trying to save his dogs and cats. Dozens of animals perished. The entire structure is gone. Jim was unable to have insurance on the contents of the property and it is a total loss. 38+ years, his life’s work. Please help him and our community rebuild this amazing, nurturing and safe sanctuary!” (MSN).

Multiple people helped Bronzo and the sanctuary by spreading awareness to others. One of Bronzo’s friends, Laura Johnson of Florida Little Dog Rescue, trudged through the mud at the sanctuary to aid Howe and Foster move guinea pigs and turtles into transport carriers.”We’ve worked with Jim for years. We’re going to help him out with the guinea pigs and turtles … for as long as he needs us,” Johnson said.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/screaming-peacock-saves-owner-of-second-chance-wildlife-sanctuary-from-fire-that-kills-41-animals/ar-BBT9RSq?ocid=spartanntp

Avery Ward, Contributor

My name is Avery Ward and I am a freshman.  Here's a few things I like to do. Firstly, I love to play volleyball! I have been playing on the court for...