Discovery of an Underground Tunnel Leading to a Bank

Back to Article
Back to Article

Avery Ward, Contributor

The FBI is investigating the discovery of an underground tunnel, which leads to a bank in Pembroke Pines, Florida. The discovery all started with a complaint on Tuesday night about a mysterious sinkhole in the middle of the road at 390 South Flamingo Road. A team from the city’s utility department was sent to examine the sinkhole. FBI Special Agent Michael Leverock reported, “They looked inside the hole and saw a power cord running toward the wood line. At that time they called the Pembroke Pines police department who showed up, went to the wood lines, and noticed what looked like the entrance to a tunnel.” The tunnel was reported as being about two to three feet in diameter. Leverock added, “I would like to say I saw something like this in the movies, however, this hole is so small that, it’s unique. I don’t know how they did it. I would like to put it into words for you but it is so cramped in there and that wagon, it is a puzzle. I can’t imagine how they did it, as well as claustrophobic” (CBS Miami). Police and other officials found a winch, generator, boots, a bucket, and other items close-by.

The tunnel leads from the grass, to the road and to the other side where there a Chase bank is located. Leverock said the FBI was called because police determined it was a suspected bank burglary. “We traced the hole from the wood line, approximately 50 yards, until it hits the bank. We still need to do some more digging, as we’re having more pings on lines being run, so we haven’t necessarily hit the end of it,” said Leverock (MSN). Leverock also said that since it had rained for the past couple of days, it may have contributed to the discovery of the tunnel. A bank customer, Damien Verdin, commented, “If they were thinking about breaking into the bank, that’s crazy” (CBS Miami). Leverock said, “I would say it’s an attempted burglary of the bank. They’re heading toward the ATM, I don’t think they were doing that for any other reason” (MSN).

A cadaver dog was brought to the tunnel in Pembroke Pines. The canine did not find any body inside of the tunnel.  Leverock commented, “We did not find a body in the hole. We don’t know who is behind this, at this time. They could have been here a week ago, last night, we don’t know. But it is an extensive hole. Whoever dug the tunnel used a pickaxe and a small wagon to remove the dirt and rock. I would like to say I saw something like this in the movies, however, this hole is so small that, it’s unique” (MSN). Leverock added a moment later that they’ll have a better idea of just how extensive the tunnel is after they remove some pavers. As for the person or persons who dug it, Leverock said: “I’d like to talk to him, it would be an interesting conversation” (MSN).

Sources: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/crews-discover-tunnel-possibly-leading-to-bank-in-pembroke-pines/ar-BBSXS6l?ocid=spartanntp

www.miami.cbslocal.com/2019/01/30/tunnel-possibly-leading-to-bank-pembroke-pines-florida/

Avery Ward, Contributor

My name is Avery Ward and I am a freshman.  Here's a few things I like to do. Firstly, I love to play volleyball! I have been playing on the court for...