New York Abortion Laws

Back to Article
Back to Article

New York Abortion Laws

Gunnar Strom, Contributor

The topic of abortion is one that many deem inappropriate and one that shouldn’t be talked about; a dilemma of “speak no evil, hear no evil” per se. Still, more find the topic to be controversial, with those who think that abortion is murder, pro-life, and those who think that abortion should be allowed and sometimes even encouraged, pro-choice, locked in a battle where it seems as though any side is the wrong side

The problem pro-lifers have with people who advocate for abortions is that they are technically taking a life in the process. Pro-lifers point out double standards for the legalization of abortion, such as the fact that while abortion isn’t considered murder, if a pregnant woman is killed then it is considered a double homicide since the murderer took the lives of both the woman and the baby. One of the other problems that pro-lifers have with abortion is the fact that there are some that use abortion as a form of birth control, something that they think should clearly be labeled as murder.

In response, people who are pro-choice cite things like rape and harm of the mother as reasons to advocate for abortions. They say that when the baby is unplanned and forced, especially when the victim/mother is young and unprepared to raise a child, abortion should be allowed and in some cases encouraged. The same is the case when the baby either dies before birth or will harm or kill the mother who is carrying the baby. The pro-choice group has also vocalized that while those who use birth control as a form of birth control are not the majority of the group, and while the group does not advocate for these people, they are not opposed to these viewpoints.

As you can see, the two sides are already convoluted enough at a standstill. To make matters more confusing for those who are attempting to follow along in the news, New York state has just released new pro-abortion laws. The old laws, that have been in effect for almost 50 years, stated that abortion could only be legally approved up until 24 weeks of pregnancy, and only if the mother’s life was at risk from the pregnancy. The new law titled the Reproductive Health Act would allow any woman at any point of the pregnancy to get an abortion. This includes both instances when an abortion is necessary, such as when childbirth will kill the mother, or when it is unnecessary or when it is used as a form of birth control.

“We’re saying here in New York, women’s lives matter. We’re saying here in New York, women’s decisions matter,” Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins said (NBC). The Republican party, which is largely pro-life, had stated before the law was signed that they thought that allowing any abortion completely was overkill and that they were willing to work out a compromise with the Democratic party, which is largely pro-choice. The Republican party, as well as other critics of the law, also stated that the law would most likely lead to more late-term abortions. The New York State Department of Health found that between 2012 and 2014, there had been 285,127 induced abortions, with that number expected to steadily rise if the law was put into effect.  These arguments came to no avail, as the law was signed into effect on January 22, 2019.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-passes-abortion-bill-late-term-if-mothers-health-is-at-risk-today-2019-01-23/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23/health/new-york-abortion-measures-trnd/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/opinion/abortion-roe-science.html

Gunnar Strom, Contributor

Hey, my name is Gunnar Strom and I am a 14 year old freshman. I like to skateboard and play the drums in my spare time. I have a younger sister and no...