Manes And Miracles Grand Opening

Ashley George, Contributor

In the heart of the East Valley there is a business that is about to bloom. That business is Manes and Miracles. Manes and Miracles specializes in therapeutic riding for special needs children as well as first responders and active/retired personnel. Their goal is to provide an inexpensive therapy opportunity for special riders to be able to connect with special horses.

On their 3.3 acre facility lives many horses who have found their way into many people’s hearts. They have been able to bring light and joy into people’s lives and have given many the opportunity to connect and share a bond with another animal.  There are hundreds to thousands of people in the state of Arizona who suffer from depression, anxiety, PTSD, and more.

Maines and Miracles was founded by Matt and Lindsey Pittman who are Arizona residents that made this dream of theirs come true. Matt Pittman was an officer in Gilbert AZ for 16 years. Officer Pittman loved his job and worked hard to succeed in every single station he was put in. Until one early Monday morning officer Pittman pulled over a man speeding in a school zone, this man would change his life forever.  On August 10, 2015 Officer Pittman suffered an almost fatal accident. Officer Pittman found out that the man he had pulled over had quite a track record and needed to make a fast acting decision. That decision caused him to break his back and be diagnosed with PTSD.

Matt Pittman then had to retire from law enforcement and suffered a long road of pain and suffering until a doctor had deemed him stable. Matt did not want to accept that his current state of how he felt was stable. So he went out of his way to make a difference in his life and to change others. Matt started to volunteer at therapy programs to help others who had suffered from similar situations to that of what he was in. He volunteered at a Hippo therapy facility and his demeanor and state began to change somewhat lighten. “He primarily helped with children with disabilities and stroke patients.  Each session, the results were incredible and he was once again able to help those who weren’t able to solve their problems on their own.  Working with the horses brought a peace to his troubled heart that he hadn’t been able to find anywhere else”(ManesandMiracles.org).

Equine therapy works in many ways from grooming, riding, talking, or working with a horse. It can simply change one’s life. It gives them a sense of responsibility that they might have thought they could never have.  Equine therapy is a treatment that has one specific goal: to form a non-human bond. Humans can be judgmental, harsh, and cannot comprehend the pain one may be suffering. Horses have senses that a human can never have. Horses cannot communicate through words so the use of actions, expressions, and overall emotion. Horses are able to sense how one is feeling afraid, sad, scared, and angry. Horses thus work with humans based on how they see one is feeling. They approach people differently with how they sense one may be feeling.

Matt and Lindsey have created something truly amazing. They have opened up their hearts to mend others. They might not realize the full impact of what they have created but they are going to change many lives. “We wanted to help provide the same kinds of miracles for others as Matt had seen for himself and with the support of the community and many wonderful partners, we are doing just that!” (ManesandMiracles.org).Manes and Miracles is going to change many people’s lives by connecting special people with special horses.

About Manes and Miracles

Ashley George, Contributor

My name is Ashley George. I am a sophomore and love Science. I love horse riding as well as jet skiing and quad riding. I love listing to all genres of...